Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Has the price of petrol changed how you ride? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Has the price of petrol changed how you ride?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Has the price of petrol changed how you ride?

The AA have a depressing spreadsheet showing the price of petrol for every year since 1896 (http://bit.ly/LkFK6D). It got us reminiscing about the days when you could fill an average bike up for a tenner (pre-1994) as opposed to the £25 or so it costs today. So… pollcomment  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (06 June 2012 12:32)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
troobs

May 12

troobs says:

Not at all

If I was bothered about a few extra quid for fuel I wouldn't ride a sportsbike, which at 21 costs me £900 to insure! Biking for me is a luxury and if I was bothered about the cost of it I wouldn't do it!

Reply to this Topic
james01708

Dec 09

james01708 says:

weekend warriors dont worry!

Most bikers dont care about petrol as they only use biking as a hobby and see bikes as toys. This has lead to bikes have awful mpg to the point cars are now getting better then bikes. For people like me who commute everyday I have had to go for smaller bikes to afford petrol now.

Reply to this Topic
bartblack

Jun 12

bartblack says:

Sad Day

September 2011 saw my daily commuter 1999 hayabusa (probably the best bike ever built) traded in for a G650GS. the busa got 35mpg but was just so quick , now my beemer gets 65mpg more on a longer run, choice was a direct result of the price of petrol. Have to leave 10 minutes earlier tho  :-)

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Not *yet*

Although I don't like the direction that it's going, and am seriously narked that the 3DLD is about to shag the arse out of the remaining market for anything in the 126-594cc range.

Reply to this Topic
Fly by night

Sep 07

Fly by night says:

The higher the better

The higher the price of fuel the better if will become for bikes when the manufacturers decide to address the fuel consumption point of bikes.

At the moment using a fuel injected bike it makes no difference how you ride the thing, ride it hard and or steady and it uses roughly the same amount of fuel, ie a lot.

The old carburreted bikes were much better on fuel and you could at least adjust them, these new fuel injected bikes are a pain but more reliable.

Reply to this Topic
tris123

Feb 09

tris123 says:

When I'm in the car I moderate my speed.  The bike is sooo much better fuel economy wise I don't worry about it.

Reply to this Topic
q1w2e3r

Jun 12

q1w2e3r says:

I changed my 1050 Sprint 30/35 mpg for a Sportster 55/60 mpg.Much more suited to my needs as I can no longer afford to do long tours any more.

Reply to this Topic
Westymr2

Sep 10

Westymr2 says:

Not one bit

My bike is a toy, It gets polished then thrashed. Then polished again. The price of fuel won't ever change the way i ride.

Reply to this Topic
Chilliesauce69

Aug 11

Never

but it has changed how i drive though.  Rarely go over 60 these days.

Reply to this Topic
puneetshriyan

May 10

No change in riding style

I feel nice knowing that no matter how aggressively I ride I will never burn as much fuel as someone driving on the same road with a car.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices