Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Who got you into bikes? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Who got you into bikes?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Who got you into bikes?

With father's day coming up we want to know who was responsible for your love of bikes.   pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (06 June 2012 12:45)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
draper12807

Feb 11

draper12807 says:

Dad bought me a bike at the age of three, fitted stabilisers and I went flat out into a wall, never looked back.

Reply to this Topic
johnlad1

Mar 11

johnlad1 says:

Dad

my dad has always had bike when i was a kid always tried to get me on them was always too scared until oneday when i was about 12 we drove round to his mates house picked up a little 125 scrambler type thing still have it in a shed only rode it twice before the engine went bang but from then on it was bikes for me still rember kicking it over for the first time and dumping the clutch and poping a wheely in a muddy field scared the living shit out of me but i dont think ive ever smiled more before or since

Reply to this Topic
Fly by night

Sep 07

Fly by night says:

Uncle

My uncle got me into bikes, I must have been around 9 or 10 years old, the first bike I ever got on was a Norton I don't know what one but it had a silver tank and he let me get on the back for a little ride, I loved it then and still do now, I even remember the sound of the engine.

I feel sorry for people that are afraid of bikes or people that have never had the oppertunity to have a safe ride on the back of a bike with someone that rides in a way that makes you feel safe, because they are truly missing out a hell of a lot, the first time you get a chance to be on the back of a bike you should be made to feel safe because that could be the start of something really great in your life.

I drive cars, I've even flown a plane, but by far the best experience I have ever had is that first time you ride on a motorcycle, the plane was really close though but I was much older then.

Reply to this Topic
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

It was 70s culture.

In the early 70s all my older brother's mates had bikes so it was natural that I would too.

Also, you could ride a 100mph 250 at 16yo but had to be 17 to drive a car.

None of this CBT bullshit and 26 different test before you got onto a 750 either.

I don't envy youngsters these days who have to go through all that crap before they can ride an R1.

You pushed your bike out of the front gate on your 16th birthday and off you went.

Reply to this Topic
happylemon666

Mar 10

DAD

taking me to watch racing at Cadwell Park several times a year till I was old enough to start riding one of his up and down dirt tracks in the area. I never really lost the interest, but when I was 17 it was all about getting a car. Didn't actually do my bike test till I was 22. Mind you, I've always had at least one bike, and spent quite a while without a car (but that's the south of France for you!)

Reply to this Topic
slparry

Aug 02

slparry says:

My Uncle Les got me into bikes. The guy had lost his left arm in a mining accident but still rode a converted BMW R69.

( http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/35310_1373692540217_4966041_n.jpg )

He used to pick me up from school, which was soooooo cool :)

Plus my step Dad was a senior Honda technician (probably why I hate Hondas nowadays ;) )

and my Mum used to love riding pillion with me right up to just before cancer took her.

My kid brother sadly lost his life after a taxi drivers error but he died doing just what he loved biking!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

slparry........

those are some of the most moving comments ever posted on MCN. Biking is a passion and you do it to feel alive.

Reply to this Topic
Chilliesauce69

Aug 11

My Bro

My brother got me into bikes, i remember all his bikes but the best he had was his urban tiger Blade. 

He had a TZR 125, FZR 600 exup, ZXR400 sports production, RGV 250, FireBlade, ZX7R which was his last.

I never got to ride with him which is a shame as he passed away age 27 on millenium eve but i go out alot with his old best mate Adam who is now a close friend of mine. 

Reply to this Topic
Chilliesauce69

Aug 11

Cont'd

He also used to take me on back of his bike to the Performance Bike Frenzy weekends at Cadwell Park.  My best memories of him on.  Cracking weekends, shame they stopped.

Reply to this Topic
TomRR

Jan 11

TomRR says:

My... Dad

My Dad had several bikes when I was a nipper,,( this is going back to the 60s-70s)  He would go Scrambling on the week-end with his brother, when I was about Ten-ish , he let me ride his DOT Scrambler “two stroke” silver tank and huge massive Knobblies.  Ohhh- Loved the smell.. even now when I hear a two stroke and smell Red-ex oil “sadly less these days”  It would spark my memories of flipping the bike,  I looked up to see my Dad with a massive smile ,, I was hooked, line, and sinker from that day,, God I miss him and my uncle. Bikes aren’t just engines and wheels,, they are a living entity ,, It’s a shame that not all Drivers feel this way…. To you all.. Stay safe /  and live your life, and always pass on the passion.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices