Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Who got you into bikes? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Who got you into bikes?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Who got you into bikes?

With father's day coming up we want to know who was responsible for your love of bikes.   pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (06 June 2012 12:45)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

A Way of Life

When I "got into bikes" motorcycling was everyday transport for millions of working people. So I didn't get into bikes any more than people get into cars, if you see what I mean. 

It wasn't a minority form of transport which needed explanation or definition. My uncles rode motorcycles, although Dad had a car, naturally I bought a bike as soon as I left school so that I could get to college. Had bikes ever since.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Goulash

Jun 11

Goulash says:

My friends made me...

I got fed up at looking at all my mates who had bikes. They got fed up with me watching them. In the end they stuck me in a field for a day with a two gear 50cc russian moped called a Riga, and wouldn't let me out until i could ride the thing. Never looked back.

Reply to this Topic
69Fastback

Apr 12

69Fastback says:

Touching

Some very touching reminiscences for this poll. Goes to prove, biking is more a passion than simply a mode of transport. Keep Safe.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

No One

No one. I went to the dealer, agreed on the price, went to the bank to have the check made out, dropped off the check, and the bike was dropped off at my place the next day.

<sarcasm> I get teary-eyed thinking about it. </sarcasm>

Reply to this Topic
kdt092

Jul 09

kdt092 says:

Who got me into bikes

1976, in the mob at an RAF base in deepest East Anglia. Other guys on Sqn have bikes and suggest I get one as a means of transport and 'getting out'. Parents dead against it and family friends want to but me a car. Want to do things my way seeing as I'm running my own life and serving Queen and country. Off to Bowers in Bury (they're still there) with bank loan secured , part with £663 and wobble away on GT250 Suzuki with L plates. Pass test later on and get bitten by 'the bug'. Meet loads of new people 'off base' and join local bike club, go to Brands, Cadwell, Snetterton, Transatlantic Trophy, get MCN every Wednesday. Never looked back. Even married the nurse who wiped my arse ('cos I couldn't) after big smash years later. Biking...will NEVER give it up.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

It was like flicking a switch on

1975 as a young fella stuck in the back of the family estate a big brash Japanese bike flies past us in a howling, sensory abusing cacophony of noise doing at least twice the speed of our car. Instant fixation and life long affinity despite parental protestations which always fell on deaf ears.

Reply to this Topic
sar02

Aug 10

sar02 says:

My dad had the Triumph Thunderbird combo 1950,s,left school in 66 and at the local youth club a guy with a BSA 650 and upswept pipes clinched it for me, a bit of ear ache to pater and when 16 had a 197cc sun single cylinder 2 stroke, absolute heaven.

Reply to this Topic
slparry

Aug 02

slparry says:

thanks

thanks snev :)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN