Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

yamadad

May 11

yamadad says:

cornering speed

Hi guys and gals.

Dont mock but when I was a schoolboy I competed in motocross and it was quite easy to get round corners fast.

You rode into the corner foot down to balance youself let the back step out  and blast out front wheel off the ground, no problem.

25 years away from biking and now passed road bike test and obviously cornering is a totally different tecnique.

I dont seem to have the confidence to get past a a certain lean angle for fear of everything washing ou tand landing in a big lot of trouble. How do I find out were the fine line is between the tyres letting go and leaning up to that point.

I watch other bikes on the road and they seem to corner a lot faster than I can. I'm not talking about getting my knee down but feel I would get more from my biking and be more fluid if I could build up that confidence. 

Coming from dirt bikes I must say I felt a a lot happier with my foot down but I dont think thats a agood idea on the road!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 June 2012 18:12)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Steveyman

Jan 08

Steveyman says:

Cornering

Yamadad,

It can depend on lots of things.

If you understand about countersteering?

Golden rule is slow in fast out, get into the right gear and at the right speed on approach, slower is better. Then get back on the gas going into the corner. Nice and steady ease on the gas and increas it as you exit the corner. Ride the bend.

Avoid shutting the throttle or even braking mid corner, this upsets stability of the bike.

One final thing, be aware of road camber, left hand bends are easier than right just beacause of road surface camber.

There are lots of other things, Limit points /target fixation etc, but remember slow in, fast out.

Hope this helps.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Corner speed/ lean

Must admit I come from a 2 stroke racing background and do like carrying a fair amount of speed into the corners (when circumstances allow). Not trying to suggest anybody follows this.

Corner lean/ speed is primarily a confidence thing and will increase when your more comfortable riding road bikes. Learn to walk before running and it will come with time. Lifting your bum slightly off the seat and using pressure on the foot pegs can help  with feeling what the bikes doing but take your time.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Which bike?

What tyres and pressures are you running? If you're running sport tyres, they may not be hot enough.

Are you on familiar roads?

Other people may corner faster, but you also need to recover it if you suddenly need to change line (I came round a bend the other night and found a dead rabbit in the middle of the road), so make sure you've got time to react.

Are you planning sufficiently, and looking through the bend sufficiently?

Are you sufficiently relaxed on the bike?

Reply to this Topic
BaldE35

Oct 06

BaldE35 says:

Being driven around the bend

Yamadad,

I know what you mean as the others have mentioned it's a question of confidence 25 years off a bike is quite some time I suggest you need to start right back at the begining. Without wanting to teach my grandmother how to suck eggs I suggest you go back to the basics and:

1. Pick a corner or roundabout that gives good observation

2. Ensure you and the bike are warm ie warm tyres and good weather

3 Practice at a  quite time ie sunday am

4.  2nd gear slowish in not under harsh braking

5 Look the way you want to travel

6 Do not coast around the corner

7 Move your body weight toward where you want to go

8 Drive around the corner

9 Exit a little quicker than you entered

10 Repeat the whole exercise again and again

Don't worry about leaning or steering the bike will go where you are looking, the more you think about steering the more tentative you will become just look where you want to go and slowly accelerate towards it.

Angle of lean - some peeps chuck a bike into a corner with abandon and always come out the otherside okay -how because the have planned the attack on the corner and allowed the bike to do it's thing they don't wrestle the bike around the corner the guide the bike using the throttle and body mass. It is a very diffrent technique from off road riding you would never dream of using a back brake only it is alway 60/40 (wet weather) or 80/20 on a road bike.

Have fun

Reply to this Topic
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

or maybe

book a novice trackday or a day at a circuit school ?...:unsure:

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

Or a BikeSafe course.....

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

once

you have some heat in modern tyres they stick like glue mate just go easy untill they are warm ish in the dry then geronimo:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
roseyeric

Oct 11

roseyeric says:

i hear

Bikesafe Bedford is orgasmic......

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

it will all takes practice.

for me i found it harder to run at much speed off road but found going round corners easy on the road.

Reply to this Topic
StealthSV

Feb 08

StealthSV says:

Don't do a track day

even in the novice group until you are more confident in yourself and your bikes abilities! Even novice groups attract some quick riders these days.

As people have said, get yourself on a bikesafe day or an IAM rider assessment day. Sounds like just what you need.....

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle