You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Clothing > Buying off the interwebs

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

MrKarl

Sep 11

MrKarl says:

Buying off the interwebs

I am taking my test very soon and want to buy a set of leathers with boots gloves and helmet. 

I am thinking about buying the leathers (2 piece) second hand along with the boots and gloves (maybe not the gloves as I can get some pretty decent ones new for about £40). 

For the helmet I would like to get a Shark s700/900 as I like the fact that the bit covering the mouth is low whereas other helmets cut off the end of the helmet short. I have found a shop on ebay selling helmets, one of which is called Duchinni which has the same style as a Shark.

Would you recommend buying second hand equipment?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (06 June 2012 20:13)

Post a message in Clothing

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
teamwindsor

Mar 11

teamwindsor says:

No

It might be cheaper but it is designed to protect you so I wouldn't take any chances. You don't know what has happened to it in the past. 

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Second hand stuff

leathers,boots and gloves used off of ebay ok, just make sure they fit!.

Second hand helmets, a no no,you're never sure of their history.

Buying a helmet.......you really need to try on before you buy,this is the most important peice of kit you'll buy,so if you're not sure what a good fit is, then visit your local bike store and get some fitting advice.

Buying from a local recommended store will insure you'll get a good fitting helmet,hopefully at a good price.

Good luck with the test and ride safe.

unit.

Reply to this Topic
MrKarl

Sep 11

MrKarl says:

Thanks boss!

I was thinking the same thing just needed some reassurance, I should be able to get money together to get a helmet new and be able to try it on.

Apparently the market is getting quite a few fakes, that's what made me cautious about buying from the internet. 

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

If you do just one thing

promise me you'll buy a new helmet,don't be the next person to forget your name.:wink:

Reply to this Topic
MrKarl

Sep 11

MrKarl says:

I Promise Unit

:lol:

I am going to shop around and try to find a Shark helmet or maybe a cheaper helmet in the same style. I probably will spend £140 give or take on a new helmet. 

I will try hard though not to get ripped off on my leathers.

One reason I didn't want to get a helmet from the internet is that on a TV program they showed a counterfeit one on impact. When it hit the ground just split in two. I wouldn't like that to be my head. 

Reply to this Topic
corrsfan

May 12

corrsfan says:

sound advice.

yes the rain/speed/gravel/bakes/ roundabout wasn't a good combination. 

You'll never forget that scraping sound a helmet makes when its being scraped along the ground with you wearing the thing, even if it was ~5 years ago. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices