Ask an Expert kcmc Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > kcmc

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

kcmc

help strange electrical problem you still up ?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (07 June 2012 05:20)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

ok here goes

my fzr 600r last year lost the keys and tried to hot wire it in the dark ....big mistake now when i try and start it it has to have the side stand up and the clutch pulled in before it will turn over ....so far i have replaced the fuel cut out relay cdi unit and delved into the loom looking for a shorted wire

its like the bike is thinking its in gear all the time even though its showing the neutral light ...any ideas i'm stumped now 

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Yamaha FZR 600R Year?

Hi Oscarthegrouch

Sounds quite odd,this is the sort of thing i would really need the bike to run some tests on,you say you have replaced the main relay,was this with a new or second hand one?i think they have a four way diode inside them that if there overloaded can cause big problems but if the replacement is sound there should be no problem.

So this model(don't know the year)is getting pretty old now so i thing i would be looking at earths and connector blocks,it sounds like the systems you state are now trying to find a different path to allow then to operate,this is usually because of high resistance or poor connections very often earth connections.First place i would look on your bike would be the battery as it not only has the main live(positive)and the main earth(ground)but two separate small live and earth wires,i think from memory the earth goes into the loom,and the live to the starter relay?(maybe wrong just from memory)but all this need to be checked out before you can move on.As i say with older bikes i find that from time to time very high resistance in a block connector that will need replacing to get thing back on track but this as i said is when i need the bike to sort it.But start with the battery terminals first and see how you go,as i say it sounds very much like an earth trying to find another way to ground.Good Luck,lets know how you get on:smile

KCMC:tongue:  

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Is

this the main relay?

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

yep

bought a second hand unit and like i said previously when you pull the clutch in you can feel  a click from this box changed cdi because i thought i'd blown a diode in that .... do ya think it could be the fuel cut off relay you showed in pics and i've bought a duff one :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

kcmc

was no problem with the bike till i spiked the circuit .....i know i know twat   bike is 1994 same engine as thundercat ....actually mine has a t cat engine in it after i destroyed the last ones gearbox

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

bike is cool

spent two days testing every wire in the loom cut it apart and tested for continuity from end to end mate fucking fuel cut off relay i'm thinking  .....but ya know what i have tried three fuel relays so far and no cigar wonder if they were all duff ...all from breakers so could be faulty 

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

HI

Having re-read your first post I take it you are starting the engine in neutral but are still having to pull in the clutch and put up the side stand.

If this is so is there a gearbox position switch which informs the system whether the gearbox is in neutral or in gear, again if this is so have you tested the switch?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

The only such devices

is just a basic neutral switch which is working ok

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

Kcmc

I have a manual for a thundercat with a pin to pin test of that relay ..... do you think they will be exactly the same

manual is in pidgeon english tho last time i tried to test it ended up very confused lol

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

Fixed it

It was the main relay ....got a new one from the breakers for a tenner ....thanks all .....apart from the bloke on ebay who sold me the duff one :blink:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices