Skip to content

Discuss This Isle of Man TT: Norton qualifies for Senior TT & road races

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > TT & road races > Isle of Man TT: Norton qualifies for Senior

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

Isle of Man TT: Norton qualifies for Senior

Norton has been officially notified it has qualified the Norton SG1 to race in the Senior TT - the most prestigious of the Isle of Man TT races after completing enough laps. The qualification is a huge boost for the resurgent British firm which suffered a torrid time at the TT in 2009 when the rotary-engined bike Michael Dunlop was riding...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (07 June 2012 12:43)

Post a message in TT & road races

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
OTimms

Mar 09

OTimms says:

Mixed feelings

Well done to the team for getting it through, to create a package (not a complete bike design) in the relatively short period needs to be congratulated.

Unfortunately, I think the level of interest in their fortunes/failures because of the name brings too much attention to what is essentially a small outfit who have built a one off special frame with a tuned Aprillia engine. I hope they do well, but if they don't there's always next year. Less attention would certainly take the pressure off them to perform in year one.

The media reporting also seems to gloss over their missed practice sessions because the engine needed rebuilding. I wonder why this is???

Reply to this Topic
biglad720

Sep 10

biglad720 says:

Well done to Norton, I think the level of media interest will be most welcome especially to their sponsors, knowing they will never get it on the podium this is the next best thing in these recessionary times and will encourage more sponsors to show an interest not only to Norton but the rest of the TT field. (More money more development).

Reply to this Topic
gingerbreadman

Dec 10

Thats brilliant

Whatever it takes to get a company and a brand name up and running again, maybe we will see a norton engine in a norton frame but until then at least the flame is burning, I wish them good luck as i do the electric men...

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Norton?

"The resurgent firm"

What are you talking about? This company is no more the real Norton than the current Bugatti marque has anything to do with Bugatti.

I would, however, like to see more of this sort of bike in the Senior. These days the senior is more or less Superbike 2. It's nice to see somebody racing something that isn't purely production based. Like the super twins it's nice to see anything that brings a little more variety of machinery back to the TT.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
sprintst955

Jun 09

sprintst955 says:

give them a break

Can the usual life members of the piss and moan about everything british give it a rest,Where were all the moaners when aprillia put rotax engines in the tuono and mille (v twins) Or when bmw put rotax engines in their 650 gs single.Or when bimota put jap engines in all there bikes until fitting ducati v twins.Or cagiva fitting suzuki v twin engines ? putting somebody elses engine in a bike is nothing new.

Reply to this Topic
Richard1967

Apr 09

Richard1967 says:

Publicity Stunt

Is all this is .Its highly unlikely that it will be competitive . Its basically a CRT bike .Norton has gone the way of the do-do. Just a rich kid trying to get richer .

Reply to this Topic
CleanBiker

Dec 02

CleanBiker says:

It's Called Marketing

Yes Richard1967

It will be a publicity stunt. Yes, the bike will be uncompetitive. Just like Honda in 1959. Suzuki and Yamaha shortly afterwards.

Norton today are a fledgling company trying to bring their brand back into the worldwide public eye. They're planning for the future. It's called marketing, and the global publicity they will recieve will almost certainly be more cost effective and possibly cheaper, than world wide advertising through printed/online media.

The IOM TT is unique. The rider finishing 31st will usually recieve the same admiration and applause as the podium finishers.

Norton and Ian will be congratulated by virtually all bike fans for putting their "Money where their mouth is" and learning a hell of a lot along the way.

As for the engine, as sprintst955 says, outsourced engines are nothing new. My memory goes back further than his. What about Villiers supplying most of the UK commuter market as well as competition bikes such as Greaves, Cotton, DOT............ JAP engines in many bigger bikes too. The very first TT in 1907 was won by a Norton. With a Peugeot engine!!!

Reply to this Topic
nigel041

Jan 04

nigel041 says:

I watched 'The Motorcycle Show' on ITV4. They did a feature on this bike, I noticed it even had the RSV4 dash. Its basically an RSV4 Aprilia with a Spondon chassis and badged as a Norton. 

Someones just trying to recreate the good old days while looking through rose tinted spectacles 

Reply to this Topic
theglovenor

Jul 10

theglovenor says:

norton

pleased for them.     have a chat with the great guys in the pit who are from the norton road bike factory and i defy you not to wish them well.   real enthusiasts who are proud of the bikes they make..

the road going bikes are the most british bike you can get (over 80% i think) and are absolutely stunning.....

and,yeah i thought it was an aprillia too but .....like i say GO MACKERS!

Reply to this Topic
CleanBiker

Dec 02

CleanBiker says:

Aprilia

Oh, and what is an Aprilia?

From their early beginnings, Aprilia followed the car worlds manufacturing model. They make nothing! They out source all manufacturing to "proper" engineering and speciality companies, and merely assemble to produce the finished product. Early bikes had Bombadier engines.

The next thing you know, Norton will be criticised for not making their own forks and shock, their own tyres, ECU, brake levers, batteries, paint, aluminium, steel...................

Why do we British prefer to knock those who have a vision and desire to do things better or different? John Bloor also had to put up with lots of negativity, but look where Triumph are now.

C'mon lads, our glasses are half full, not half empty.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle