Skip to content

Discuss This Isle of Man TT: Norton qualifies for Senior TT & road races

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > TT & road races > Isle of Man TT: Norton qualifies for Senior

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

Isle of Man TT: Norton qualifies for Senior

Norton has been officially notified it has qualified the Norton SG1 to race in the Senior TT - the most prestigious of the Isle of Man TT races after completing enough laps. The qualification is a huge boost for the resurgent British firm which suffered a torrid time at the TT in 2009 when the rotary-engined bike Michael Dunlop was riding...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (07 June 2012 12:43)

Post a message in TT & road races

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
colinS2R

Mar 06

colinS2R says:

the sound

was over for practice week, that thing sounds incredible, highlight of the week seeing it ripping across the mountain

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

sprintst955

The issue is not that it has an Aprillia engine. The issue is that it isn't a Norton. Rather than spending money buying up the Norton name and rights the company should have spent a little more on R&D and thought up their own name.

One local wrinkly who still has a Dommie he bought new in the sixties put it quite succinctly: "Norton went down the bog more than once because they were badly run. Why would anybody want to buy that? They'd be better off using their own name - no baggage."

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Richard1967

Apr 09

Richard1967 says:

Notron

I bought a triumph 675 some years ago , great bike great handling , sound , looks a racing success the whole schmeer .Norton had a chance when they had the rotary , but the road bike made from that prototype was crap, underpowered , ugly looking and over priced then there was the Al Melling debacle with the v8 yamaha bodge up , people will always tip up to see a Norton and people will always put that famous name on the side of a fs1e and milk it for all its worth

Reply to this Topic
nigel041

Jan 04

nigel041 says:

I think what Norton are doing with their road bikes is fantastic. They look like real pieces of art. But to put that Iconic name on to a bike that is really only an Aprilia just doesn't seem right. Might as well have bought a gixxer thou, scrubbed the name out and replaced it with 'Norton'.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Nigel041

Do you really believe the only part of a bike that matters is the engine? In that case You can keep your engine and swap me the rest of your bike for this engineless YB100 I have at the back of my shed.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Richard1967

Interesting point. Me and a couple of mates are thinking of going moped racing next year. FS1Es are a bit expensive these days given their "classic" status (yawn!) but whatever we get I think a silver tank, some black pinstriping and a Norton logo might get us some attention from MCN. :winkie:

Reply to this Topic
rayc333

Oct 11

rayc333 says:

It is 2012

What a bunch of old farts;  as if any bike (or car) is made wholly in their own factory these days.

Reply to this Topic
Momo1970

Jul 11

Momo1970 says:

Whats wrong with the RSV4 frame? Could also used Biaggi's bike and called it Norton.... Seriously, I read an article with Norton project manager who said he does not see Norton on WSB, or MotoGP, so not sure whats this gimmick all about.

Reply to this Topic
Darowyn

Mar 05

Darowyn says:

Clearly the old farts aren't old enough. If they were, they would know that the very first TT was won by a Norton using a bought-in engine- a 690cc V twin Peugeot in fact. That was the start of something very big for Norton. Here's hoping that the coincidental similarity of this years entry and that early success is a good omen for the next phase of Norton production. And for God's sake, you moaners, just allow yourself a day off from being miserably cynical about everything! Cheers Dave

Reply to this Topic
pearsonsnose

Apr 09

pearsonsnose says:

Moaners...again

Here's an idea for all you moaning old/young gits on here...how about, for once in your lives, you try (however hard that may turn out to be) to look on a potential bright side of something? Go on, give it a try.

An alternative to that scary prospect is to sit back, take a pause and wonder to yourselves: "Does anyone actually give a feck what I think when I ceaselessly moan on and on about something I know very little about?"

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to that question...and it's a big, fat NO!

Why Norton running an Aprilia engine is such a big drama to so many people baffles me. It has happened for decades in bikes and cars. It's a standard way of going racing without breaking the bank. I can't wait to see the bike on TV. A friend at the TT says it sounds amazing.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices