Skip to content

BMW BMW R1250GS spied R1200GS

You are in... Forums > BMW > R1200GS > BMW R1250GS spied

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

BMW R1250GS spied

The upcoming BMW R1250GS has been spied during testing, showing many upgrades over the current R1200GS. It’s impossible to overstate the importance to BMW of the new R1250GS – the firm simply has to get it perfectly right or risk suffering a financial calamity such is the role the bike plays in sales across the globe. The current R1200GS and Adventure models...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 June 2012 13:29)

Post a message in R1200GS

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
occytherp

Jul 05

occytherp says:

they don't like it up em

The adventure market is BMW's main earner, 33% of sales globally means massive income and kudos. There is now way BMW will kill the golden goose, the development period has been twice as long as previous models tells you how serious BMW are in getting this bike right first time.

No pressure then! Triumph have hit a nerve with the explorer and other manufacterers are catching up. If the water cooled version is successful, there may well  be a glut of air cooled versions for sale. Perhaps then BMW can lend the Spanish and Greeks a few bob and leave us out of it for a change.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

33% of what?

@ occytherp – 33% of sales by number of bikes, or by revenue? And presumably that is for BMW Motorrad only, and not BMW as a whole?

Reply to this Topic
crustybiker

Apr 04

crustybiker says:

spy shot

bmw having a spy shot day they need lessons from triumph for that  but seriouly the new triumph adventuer ripping the heart out of bmw sales did they not say that about the ducati when that came out and again when the tiger1050 came out but the bmw still sells well and holds it value very well and incidently is far more ecomical than the triumph maybe not as fast but speed is not everything

Reply to this Topic
Arrow

Aug 02

Arrow says:

The Achilles heel on the R1200GS/GSA is the final drive bearings and by the looks of the new bike all BMW have done is move the problem from the right side to the left side. On my 2009 55,000 miler GSA I have had two replacement final drive bearings, one at 20,000 and the other at 30,000 miles but since then, no further problems and no problems other than this.

Some argue that the final drive is a bad design hence the large numbers of failures, others that it is poor quality control as many do well over 100,000 without problem either way BMW will need to get this new bike right as the competition is now hacking away at its heels and BMW's reputation alone will not sell it.

Reply to this Topic
stu_sp2

Mar 06

stu_sp2 says:

@moke1275

I doubt that's the finished bike looks wise, them body panels will be strategically mis shaped in order to stop the new look of it being fully revealed yet, they're not going to change the overall look of the bike completely, they'll just tweak it, much the same as Ducati did with the 916/996/998 model run, and Yamaha have done with the R1 from '98!! oh and Suzuki with the Gixxer thou.... " ABOUT AS EXCITING AS WATCHING TOAST POP UP " made me chuckle, but its probably ten times more relevant a bike than a 190bhp missile on UK's roads ... Whatever floats your boat ;-)

Reply to this Topic
Goulash

Jun 11

Goulash says:

No spoked wheels?

I thought one of the important criteria for the GS was spoked wheels. Or is that going to be another 'extra' for the poor owner to choose from the accessory list? Looks the same as the old one if you ask me. Reminds me of the ugly girl next door who gives good head, you can't stop yourself going back for more. Still don't want one though

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

They'll do an Adventure version with spokes

Yes, an Adventure version of an Adventure Sports bike... :D

As to economy, RiDE just road tested the R1200GS against the Explorer and they had essentially identical fuel economy (i.e. both worse than my 9 year old car).  The Triumph has 10,000 mile service intervals though, and couldn't possibly charge more than BMW for servicing.

Reply to this Topic
Mistafunky

Oct 11

Mistafunky says:

GS Toaster

If there's a special edition at launch complete with built in toaster I'm definitely getting one! Imagine all the places you could eat toast! Now that would be exciting...

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Toast

If the new BMW R1250GS makes toast, will it have butter and jelly tanks with automatic application (like the oil tanks on 2-smokes that eliminated pre-mixing fuel)?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle