Skip to content

Discuss This Rookie rule set to be axed in MotoGP? MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Rookie rule set to be axed in MotoGP?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Rookie rule set to be axed in MotoGP?

Honda could be on the brink of winning its fight to get the rookie rule abolished in MotoGP, paving the way for Spanish starlet Marc Marquez to move straight into its official factory team in 2013. Introduced in 2010, the rookie rule forbids newcomers in MotoGP from being fast tracked into a factory team. The rule was designed to help satellite teams...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (08 June 2012 13:55)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
yamahayzr500

Jul 04

yamahayzr500 says:

One rule for some and another rule for others !!

I am NO expert but my guess is that once Marquez has left Moto2 the Moto 2 rules will be changed (as it should be NOW) to a minimum rider / bike combined weight !!!(just like 125 / Moto3) In my option they dorna / MotoGP have not addressed this very un-fair issue until Marquez has won the championship and left Moto2 Then may be the larger lads like Scott and Andrea Iannone might actually be able to compete on a level playing field.

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

Another day.....

.........another rule change.

This is getting tedious to say the least.

Reply to this Topic
petedj

Jan 11

petedj says:

Level playing field? Only when it suits them

Honda always want the rules changed to suit them then spend the most money to buy the championship. Why don't they just give Dorna a bunch of money every year and Dorna could award them the championship. Save all this messing about with motorbikes.

Reply to this Topic
Chilliesauce69

Aug 11

Local artist in Lincoln, FB page (Jane Stanton Donnor Artist) in middle of new painting of Simoncelli. 5 bikes on one very big canvass. First bike done, check it out guys. On the subject I guess that is gonna cool the air with Rossi talks of rejoining Repsol. Bummer :( lol

Reply to this Topic
YamahaRacer

May 12

YamahaRacer says:

MotoGP is becoming a circus this rule should have never been introduced.

Reply to this Topic
RidgeRacerHRC

Mar 12

rules are there to be broken

not surprised really. And of course, the armchair pundits jump on Honda when it CLEARLY states in the article that Yamaha ( even has a quote from him) and Ducati support the move.

Remember Suzuki getting leverage with the 6 engine rule?

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

Get rid of it

I always felt that if a rider has skills and talent to ride a motoGP bike, and especially if the rider is quite gifted, he should be able to ride for whatever team will offer him the job.  Currently, the rule is saying that a new GP rider isn't good enough to handle a factory bike.  Take Spies for instance...1st season in WSBK, he wins 1/2 the races and poles 1/2 the time on unfamiliar tracks.  He showed he had what it takes but had to settle for a 2nd rate team in GP.  Could he have had a better 1st season? (Let's not talk about his 2nd and 3rd season.)

The part about helping attract sponsors for satellite teams is BS.  How is a rider with zero experience in the big league going to "help" attract big money?  For the sake of Argument, maybe Marquez goes to Repsol Honda immediately and Rossi leaves Ducati for Gresini.  I guarantee Gresini will now have serious money at their disposal and Repsol will still be backing HRC just the same.  That would actually be better with Repsol spending less on salary for a new rider who has yet to prove himself on a 1000.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Milkybars

Feb 11

Milkybars says:

Scott Redding

will never, ever be a World Champion. Deal with it, even if he get whatever weight rules in his favor. Iannone on the other hand has the talent to actually win the Championship if he is on as he has shown to be very fast. Whereas for Scott, you need the Hubble Telescope to see him because he is so far back.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
gaziskwakers

Feb 06

gaziskwakers says:

Who's this

Bradley Scott, did i miss a new rider signing? DOH!

Reply to this Topic
redracer46

Oct 11

redracer46 says:

Hummm

Whilst this rule had merits when it was introduced (i.e - making it easier for satellite teams to please sponsors with decent riders.) it was always circumvented by just giving the riders full factory machinery and technicians anyway. Things have changed now, moneys tight and the factory teams cant even get sponsors, so maybe dropping the rule is a good thing. What is worrying though is that Uncle Carmelo is not one to go back on anything without making some gains for Dorna..... I would worry what the teams will have to acquiesce to in order to get this through :S

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices