You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Insurance > timeline for payout

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

wormtossa

Jun 12

wormtossa says:

timeline for payout

12 weeks ago my bike was knocked over by a car whilst in a parking bay. the 3rd party was good enough to leave their details and accepted responsibility no problem. i contacted my insurance straight away and they explained that this could take up to 3 months.I explained this was my only mode of transport and was supplied with a hire bike.

After a few days i found the bike unsafe, was given another that was the same so told them to take it away and bought a temporary bike to keep me going.

After the initial assessment of my bike, the insurance company sent their report to the 3rd partys insurance which decided it was uneconomical to repair so it would be written off.

That was 6 weeks ago and despite my calls to my insurance company, they keep telling me they cannot do anything till they get further details i.e. settlement figure etc back from the 3rd party.

does anyone know if there is any guidlines set up the govern the amount of time an insurance company can take on settling a claim.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 June 2012 18:11)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Insurance payout

If you are fully comp then usually your insurer will pay out for any repairs or compensation and then reclaim their loss from the third party insurer.  I do not see why they would need to wait or negotiate with them before any settlement is made.  I would give the third party insurers 7 days in which to make a proper offer and settle or take your case to the small claims court.   

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices