Skip to content

Ask an Expert Is bike insurance really this much?! Insurance

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Insurance > Is bike insurance really this much?!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ChrisFilter

Jun 12

ChrisFilter says:

Is bike insurance really this much?!

Hello all,

Quick insurance question for you.

I'm booked in for my CBT in a couple of weeks and will be getting myself a Honda CBF125 for my 20 mile round-trip London commute. I've just been looking at insurance quotes and the cheapest I'm seeing is about £450 for the year. 

I'm 30, hold a car licence and have for 12 years, have nothing dodgy on my record. The bike will be secured with a ground anchor in my 'drive' (more like a bit in front of a hedge in front of my house) in a slightly ropey postcode.

Does my quote sound fairly typical for a125cc on a CBT/provisional bike licence? That's with a £350 excess and for TPFT only.

It seems flipping enormous given my car insurance costs less for fully comp, but hey ho!

Many thanks for your input.

Chris

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (11 June 2012 18:24)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Car insurance

and bike insurance are usually considered separately for NCB purposes (a speed camera conviction will bang both up...).

That said, bikes are far more easily nicked than a car, small bikes are most vulnerable to theft (light weight so easy to lift with a couple of well built blokes and a van) and are seldom seen again, plus small ones are easier to sell on to any naive 16 / 17 year olds (bigger bikes get broken for parts).

The more security you can get, the better (a BikeTrac tracking system may help, £300 fitted and £100 annual subscription if memory serves), if you can do it, a limited mileage may take it down as well.

Reply to this Topic
ChrisFilter

Jun 12

ChrisFilter says:

Ta!

Thanks, Adie. Appreciate the response.

I can only assume it's a postcode thing. A friend of mine with near identical circumstances is £300-odd compared to my £450-odd. And he's a mile away as the crow flies.

Reply to this Topic
BadD0g

Aug 08

BadD0g says:

Aye

Sounds mostly down to post code and risk of theft to me :/

Think my first 125cc insurance was £220 fully comp if I remember correctly - it was kept just in the back garden, but the area wasn't too bad!

As AdieR says - the more security the better, and let your insurance company know about it - you might find your premium will come down :)

Reply to this Topic
flookyk

Oct 10

flookyk says:

The post code

has a lot to do with it.

A friend of mine has just bought a 1500 Goldwing around Manchester area and with 2 yr NCD his insurance was £355.

He put in the same details but with my post code and it came back with £132.

Reply to this Topic
cairnsie13

Jan 11

cairnsie13 says:

Its with

it being parked on a drive too. I imagine itll be alot less garaged.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices