Skip to content

Discuss This Video: Extreme adventure test - part one First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: Extreme adventure test - part one

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: Extreme adventure test - part one

Four bikes. A Dakar hero. 100+ miles off-road. Just one question: can adventure bikes live up to their billing? We took the BMW R1200GS, Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere, Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 and KTM 990 Adventure on an off-road adventure and to really test their abilities, we enlisted Stan Watt, who finished 34th in this year's Dakar Rally.  brightcove.createExperiences();

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (12 June 2012 10:14)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
tl1000kid

Aug 02

tl1000kid says:

Brilliant video!

Very entertaining - looking forward to part 2!

Reply to this Topic
Jun 06

alter says:

good vid

The large adventure bikes are for doing long distance with a bit of off road,green lanes etc, were as a 600 cc adventure would piss all the trails on the vid but be underpowered fully loaded on a big distance trips, so its a case of buy what you really require. i would go for a smaller capacity or you may aswell buy a honda crosstourer for all the off road capability, ktm rules off road though. geat vid, love it

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

These are too heavy

for "serious" off roading...

Reply to this Topic
bikerbit

Mar 09

bikerbit says:

good vid

these bikes arnt off roader's they are now built for on road at least kawasaki didnt pretend with there new 1000cc and just said its only for on road and made no lies about off road abilities if you want to go off road then by a light bike nothing bigger than a 650 and even then you could probably do with smaller but for dual purpose bikes lighter is king. When off road thing to remember is you are going to have to man handle the bike at some point and probably more often than you think easier to lift or push 180kg than it is to do the same to 250kg but ktm done well no surprise there lighter and better shocks ugly f*cker but more built to purpose than the rest still prob be bet by the smaller class but good vid none the less

Reply to this Topic
asstoot

Jan 12

asstoot says:

Yep

Good fun to watch, reminds me of our dirt jaunts in Wales. Not an expert or anything, but you guys are gassing it too late! Everyone talking about keeping the speed up but none of you do. On me xc I`d be up it like a ferret. Granted, it did look dodgy with them logs and whatnot in the mud. Respec`

Reply to this Topic
pushr0d

Mar 06

pushr0d says:

Tough test for a big bike!

Nothing like a greasy crooked incline with limbs and roots to make a big bike show its shortcomings! I'd say the tires were also a bit overwhelmed by the clay/mud as well! You didn't say anything about their road manners. Nothing significant to report? Great video! Thanks!

Reply to this Topic
steviewo

Jun 12

steviewo says:

Why?

Just wondering why you guys did this test? It's a great video of course and you had lots of fun, apart from pushing the Tenere but you must have known that these bikes (apart from the KTM) were not built for this kind of riding. They are great (as you proved) for tarmac and firm off-road but for this you obviously needed lighter, more nimble machines. If you take any bike out of its design sweet spot it wont perform properly, or maybe you thought that some people think that these bikes were designed for this purpose and wanted to show them the truth, really? Anyway nice vid, good laugh but nothing proved ...

Reply to this Topic
100milesaway

Mar 09

100milesaway says:

Just silly

Anybody buying one of these with the intention of riding it off road, is simply crazy, they are road bikes. End of.

Reply to this Topic
bdrstg

Jun 12

bdrstg says:

Great test! Great fun!

I think it's a great test and a great vid!
If the weather conditions would have been better, the hill climb would not have been that dramatic to some of the bikes. But in real life you can't control weather conditions neither can you? These are dual purpose bikes and are supposed to be capable of handling various terrains and conditions... not only tarmac and a firm off-road track on a sunny summer day (that you can do with any bike). True... there are better bikes to get up that hill. But when you buy a bike for different purposes you can't expect for it to handle as well as a bike which is designed for only 1 purpose. It keeps amazing me how these bikes flip from dirt to road and behave really good (even 'excellent' for my limited drivers capacity). Finally someone has put them up to a real (tough) test. I'm eager to see the part 2. What surprises me is that all bikes except the KTM had serious issues even before reaching the hard part of the trip! Great stuff MCN!

Reply to this Topic
Toecutter71

Jun 10

Toecutter71 says:

This is not Cross or endurance bikes

I would disagree with the opinion of the Motorcycles that are shown in this test, are not capable of Off Road driving course to KTM, stands out for its off roud capabilitys , and BMW, Yamaha and Triumph is  the so-called heavy adventure bikes, with which it can be submitted out of asphalt, the second category(and another class) is what is now called Endurance Bikes, which included practically that bikes which was almost  cross motorcycles in the early 90's whit added signal, front and rear light and an electric starter, of course, that these bikes and those seen in the test can not be compared, but also when you go on the  Highway whit second mentioned class bikes(Endurance),yours cruise speed with all things which you put on it, you can not cross 140Kmh, which is on Highway a very dangerous thing especialy on bad wheter, because Trucks and Busses easly can go in overpassing which can be very disturbing and dangerus, and why I think that the Bikes are shown in Test probably the most universal in its use and the best for really long mix tour, each of them on Highway section can develop a cruising speed of 150/160kmh(and more), which is quite enough, and it can get off the asphalt roads easly, to the inability to climb on goat paths, it is another thing and question of are you strickly go off roud, or you wish to traveling where some piece of bad, or dusty or dirth road climb,  will not make you a headache, that is how i see this big adventure bikes.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices