Skip to content

Discuss This Video: Extreme adventure test - part one First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: Extreme adventure test - part one

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: Extreme adventure test - part one

Four bikes. A Dakar hero. 100+ miles off-road. Just one question: can adventure bikes live up to their billing? We took the BMW R1200GS, Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere, Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 and KTM 990 Adventure on an off-road adventure and to really test their abilities, we enlisted Stan Watt, who finished 34th in this year's Dakar Rally.  brightcove.createExperiences();

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (12 June 2012 10:14)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Dicky King

Sep 02

Dicky King says:

British weather..

Truth is its mud that kills these bikes in the UK. Rain on the Wolds of Englandshire? Stay at home. Loose sand is fine once the operator error is overcome, and providing you realise the riding style is less EXC but more GSA all's fine. Of course the KTM is more hardcore, but I really get why Charlie McGregor chose BMW over KTM on their round the world trip. Check out the dealers on a global basis! Seriously BMW have got world domination in mind, with great coverage all over South America and Africa. That sounds familiar.....

Reply to this Topic
draper12807

Feb 11

draper12807 says:

Love bikes like these but how many are really going to stray of a motorway or dual carriageway for a long time. I live on the outskirts of greater manchester and regularly ride across the city on a gsxr 750 and i only ever see them on the m60. Dicky king, ewen and charlie wanted to use ktm's but ktm didn't believe they could do it so wouldn't supply them with the bikes. Probably the biggest dropped a bollock moment in motorcycling.

Reply to this Topic
ducatigav

Feb 10

ducatigav says:

i love my ktm 990 adventure R it may not be the best road bike comp to a sports or the best off roader comp to an enduro but every time i ride it i smile and giggle like a big kid and its the 1st bike i ever had were im not looking at what to buy next

Reply to this Topic
asstoot

Jan 12

asstoot says:

dicking

Last time I heard, Gregor and Boreman asked for the KTM`s first but didn`t get. Enter second choice, bayerische`s finest. Ktm are still pulling their hair out.

Reply to this Topic
mcmickyp

Sep 06

mcmickyp says:

Hilarious

The commentary is so funny. The look on Michael Guys face is to die for. Shame on you BMW. Triumph would be an amazing European road bike. Yamaha was unlucky-nick Sanders did 50,000 miles on one with only 2 oil changes and no issues. KTM has a reputation for being very brittle and needing lots of maintenance. Looks like you need a support truck AND full touratech to go anywhere on the Beemer...just like charley and Ewan.

Reply to this Topic
jakubkuba

Apr 11

jakubkuba says:

More videos like this !!!!

Reply to this Topic
shrek090

May 12

shrek090 says:

adventure bikes

i know its not the most popular bike but why not a varadero i've ridden mine on similar tracks and never hada problem all these bikes are very expensive picked up an 08 vara for £4000 with 8500 miles on the clock and its awesome bike 200 miles to a tank loads of grunt you get used to the dual breaking a lot of fun for not a lot of money does everything these bikes do maybe not as well but over all a good bike very stable on the black stuff good two up mile muncher

Reply to this Topic
mikehannan

Jun 11

mikehannan says:

Where is the gear

I thought this was a pretty useless test.  These bikes are designed to carry lots of gear and maybe two people over some ordinary roads in reasonable comfort.  What possessed the crew to think any of the bikes would do well in this type of test.   I don't think the design brief included scrub bashing for any of them.  They should be tested with luggage and, for a good part of the test, with a pillion. And as for the 20kg of gear and a rider only specified for the yet to be seen part of the test, it is a joke.  Lets have an all up weight over 420 kg and two days hammering along the corrogations of the Amir Hyw or the Gunbarrell Hyw, then we would see who is up for an adventure and who is a show pony.

Reply to this Topic
voodoochild72

Jun 12

Extreme adventure test

When is part 2 coming out?

Reply to this Topic
ducatigav

Feb 10

ducatigav says:

wheres part 2 boys

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance