Skip to content

Discuss This Video: Extreme adventure test - part one First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: Extreme adventure test - part one

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: Extreme adventure test - part one

Four bikes. A Dakar hero. 100+ miles off-road. Just one question: can adventure bikes live up to their billing? We took the BMW R1200GS, Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere, Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 and KTM 990 Adventure on an off-road adventure and to really test their abilities, we enlisted Stan Watt, who finished 34th in this year's Dakar Rally.  brightcove.createExperiences();

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (12 June 2012 10:14)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Ridefree

Jun 08

Ridefree says:

Darian Gap

Not exactly the Darian Gap was it!

Adventure Bikes are for going to far off places on metalled roads and good tracks. Nobody ever said that they were for trials riding or motocross.

Reply to this Topic
Toecutter71

Jun 10

Toecutter71 says:

goath trail

O.K i just now see video to the end, and must say, it was to big "bite" for all bikes except KTM, narrow muddy climb whit crisscross of thick tree roots.But again, this bikes is not for this kind of goathtrail OFF ROUD

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

This is just mincing about on some slippery soil and grass.

Doesn't this just prove Adventure bikes are best left to the road,? Who in their right mind would want to take a 1200cc bike that ways a quarter of a ton off road? Imagine paying all that money out for your new Explorer laden with all the extras and it hits the deck. Best laugh I've had for a while.

Bring back big trailies!

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Not standing up well and its not even the gnarly bits yet

If you're adventure touring on a bike would you have the option of ditching your luggage whenever you've got off road/ untarmaced sections? All adventure tourers I've heard of have to get themselves, their luggage and their kit out along with the bike when the terrain gets gnarly.

They really should have tagged along some realistic adventure bikes (DR, XTZ, XR, etc) to show how much easier this type of work can be with the right tool (rather than the pretend ones that sell just on image). My old KLR250 would have coped with that type of terrain without any problems and that was hardly strewn with loads of power. (I did do a bit off road adventure touring on it in europe when I took it there.)

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Whip63

Jun 12

Whip63 says:

Love It!

Has a proud KTM 990 and 950 owner I am a bit bias.:) I am looking forward to tomorrow's show. Since the KTM is the only bike running we should get to see a lot of it. LOL

Reply to this Topic
nedski

May 03

nedski says:

Adventure Bike Test

Enjoyed this very much. I've got a GSA and have actually had it off road a couple of times, unfortunately we ain't legally allowed to play off road north of the border but there are some areas where we can. Booked up for the Motorrad Day at Knockhill in August and hoping to learn how to do some of this stuff a bit better. Looking forward to seeing part two soon.

Reply to this Topic
BRAZILREPORTER

May 10

Totally wrong bikes

For this kind of work these heavy bikes are complete rubbish, accept for the KTM maybe, but then again KTM has a much better and lighter bike in their line-up. I could do this trail with my old two-stroke Cagiva easy. Any 250 to 450 cc offroad bike would do much better in these conditions. This video shows well that mostly, these heavy adventure bikes are much more to show off on the highway than that they are really for offroad use for non professional riders.

Reply to this Topic
digitalcaptive

Jun 12

As with most adventure type bikes (I own a tiger 800xc) nothing short of being an exceptional off road rider is going to make bikes of this size look capable off road and I admire riders that can justify chucking 12000 quids worth of bike down a muddy lane.

For me, my tiger is unlikely to see anymore than a dusty trail (like 70% of all of them) when I bought mine it was because I liked the high seating and overall styling along with its touring capabilities.................looking forward to part two of this report

Reply to this Topic
deltablues

Nov 08

deltablues says:

All of these motorcycles would have faired better with a true set of off-road tires. The knobs on the TKC's are just not made for mud. I have a KTM 500 EXC and it would have laughed at that hill they were climbing...then again, it is a street-legal dirtbike and weighs 260lbs full of fuel. Still, I totally understand why the Adventure bikes have their appeal. Here in Arkansas, we have hundreds of thousands of acres of National Forrest with fast fire-roads where you could/can ride them without getting yourself into too much trouble. The thing I don't understand about Adventure bike riders is their cumpulsive need to stuff every top-box and pannier full of gear. I have met guys on rides here in the States that will have close to 150lbs of gear on their bikes...insane.

Reply to this Topic
Matthewc

Jun 12

Matthewc says:

People shoot these bikes down in off road situations. The reality is they need to be able to do perform in these conditions to claim the name of adventure bike. I have a big adventure bike as I live in a big country in a big continent. It allows me to cover a lot of ground very quickly while being able to do the odd technical stuff you meet in the out of the way places.

It does not help to have your bike break down three days from the nearest support just becasue you had to cross a river bed as the bridge had washed away. Or you are in this truly amazing spot and you just want to se whats on the otherside of the mountain. That is what adventure bikes are supposed to do.

I have a 990 as I can cover 600km's in a day having taken in some 2-300km's of interesting technical riding and still go and see a customer the next day. Allowing me to pick another route home the following day. Or I can go exploring the best Africa has to offer knocking of the easy dirt roads at speed while being able to explore the remote areas with confidence.

That is an adventure bike. While most of the companies have lost sight of the true requirements of an adventure bike. Tests like these measure the bikes against their expected capabilities. It is sad so many came up wanting. in the marketing blurb they all tell you the bikes can do it..

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices