Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Riding in the rain is fun, right? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Riding in the rain is fun, right?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Riding in the rain is fun, right?

Several journalists in the MCN office claim to enjoying riding in the rain (provided they've got good kit, it's not freezing etc). Are they masochists?   pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (12 June 2012 17:37)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Ralinoco

Nov 08

Ralinoco says:

come rain or shine

No problems with rain, I've just ridden through a flood on my daily ride to work and had a laugh doing it! Just make sure you get decent waterproof gear (can't beat a pair of rubberised overtrousers, do those textile trousers never leak?) and be more cautious. Too many people in society are getting more and more wussy, that's why we have so many single occupancy cars blocking up our roads.

Snow can be fun too if you enjoy a challenge! Ice is a different matter though as you can't always see it......

Ride Free (or at least cheaply)

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

The riding doesn't bother me

It's the hassle of getting in and out of the extra gear at either end.  On a dry day, I just wear kevlar jeans and a leather jacket, on bike, ride to work, done.

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Not From Choice

I worked as a long-distance courier for eighteen months when I was on a career break and coverered 125,000 miles in that time, (yes I did say 125,000 miles in 18 months). I worked at all times of the day and night and all types of weather including rain, snow and heatwave. There were times when it rained for weeks on end and I was still doing around 800 miles per day. You do get used to it but I wouldn't say it's fun. 

These days my riding is for pleasure and I still go out when it's wet if there's a reason. I have decent waterproof riding gear but what I really hate is getting my bike all mucky and the hours It takes me to get it cleaned properly afterwards.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
andywhit

Aug 10

andywhit says:

"Florida Ice" the worst

Proper rain and wet is ok, if in decent clothing and one is not cold. Small amount of rain, light showers ie: "Florida Ice" I hate as it is very slippery. Only time I have thrown the m-bike and myself down the road.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Learn...

Riding in the rain teaches you a lot & should improve your dry weather riding... apart from the actual getting wet/cold aspect I love it (both combatted with the correct kit... mostly)... getting the bike sliding around, exploring the levels of grip.

Reply to this Topic
rossired

Jul 07

rossired says:

Whats not to like.....

Well apart from actually getting wet, riding in the wet is fun, many examples have already been given.

I recently attended the Ron Haslam Race School and there was so much standing water I thought that it would have been called off, however we got on with it and i learnt more in those few hours than i have done in a long time, i.e. how much lean angle you can actually get in the wet, smooth throttle response, aquaplaning and how not to panic, smooth break pressure, the list could go on.

Personnally i love it and see it as a bit challange, having said that I realise that it is not for all.

Reply to this Topic
rickster999

Jul 07

rickster999 says:

No not really, it's a necessary evil.

Unless I have to get somewhere, I won't bother.

As I live 10 mins (walk) from work, it's just not feasible to bugger about getting the bike out as by the time i've geared up got it out of the shed moved car I'd already be at work; so my biking is strictly for shits and giggles nowadays.

But, if I have to ride in the rain i will - Easter 2012 visiting a friend in Bournemouth and facing a treck up the M6 to Lancs the heaven proceeded to open.

5 ish hours in the torrential rain, in my jonny suit; freezing cold, crotch seep halfway home, fogged vizor no matter what; and vizibility of about 20m all the way home - it was more a case of stressed suvival over having fun.

Reply to this Topic
Typhon219

Oct 11

Typhon219 says:

nope but its better than a car

I picked up my Gixxer from Reading last thursday and had a 5 hour blast home on a new bike with new tyres in the pouring rain wearing summer sports leathers as my waterproofs were elsewhere. Without doubt the hardest ride every. I don't like riding in the rain but I commute by bike every days so it's unavoidable if I want to opt out of public transport. If you have the right bike and right kit then it's fine (I run a very crappy old winter hack for bad weather riding)

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Piroflip...

"it's hard enough dodging women drivers in the dry".........

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

rain

Wired in heated waterproof gloves - £99 will make any ride enjoyable. My daily commute through clouds / fog on mountain tops is actually enjoyable even when its snowing.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices