Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Riding in the rain is fun, right? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Riding in the rain is fun, right?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Riding in the rain is fun, right?

Several journalists in the MCN office claim to enjoying riding in the rain (provided they've got good kit, it's not freezing etc). Are they masochists?   pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (12 June 2012 17:37)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

Bob 1

Bob 1, send me a PM via my profile.  Your profile is hidden.  Got some questions for you.

Reply to this Topic
Skinhead1967

May 12

Skinhead1967 says:

No. I detest it. I usually get caught when I'm in my leathers & haven't got a rain suit handy. Also it takes ages to dry the leathers & add the cream to make sure that they don't go rock solid and stay supple & then all of the faffing around get the bike clean again!

Reply to this Topic
Zoggthefantastic

Sep 11

Wet or dry a bike's a bike

Heated grips, a vanucci one-piece textile suit and waterproof boots. Makes my commute pretty much the same wet or dry. Dark Winter nights in the rain with car headlights shining into the wet visor going into the wooded section of the road not knowing what crap is on the deck is a lot less fun than a taking the long way home on a dry summer evening.

Reply to this Topic
prdh

Jun 11

prdh says:

Bad weather

When it rains i just think back to what my old scout leader used to say; "There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes." As long as you stay dry and warm riding in the rain can be just as much fun.

Reply to this Topic
mike2265

Apr 11

mike2265 says:

love it

... provided the helmet doesn't fog up and I have decent wet weathers (or it's warm and I'm heading home to a shower - don't mind getting wet riding but not if I have to sit around in the gear afterwards).

It also depends where I do it.  Around town I do it simply as a part of the commute, if it hasn't rained for a while I'm very dubious of the surface with a light shower.  With commuting the need to gear up makes it more of a hassle.

But if I'm going for a fang out of town I love it...  with provisos again.  The bike has to be decent in the wet, reasonably well balanced front and rear, tyres ok in the wet, and the road surface consistant (and preferably not shiny hotmix tar - unless the corners are more open.)  Dirt bikes are great for it - but not dirt bike tyres on tar.  Changable surface and filled potholes make it very unpredictable.  Otherwise I love finding the limit of traction and getting some drifting happening (easiest on rough gravelly surface on uphills).  Also, if it's wet I like the road to be properly wet.  Wet and dry patches make it hard to work out how hard to push it.

Reply to this Topic
Martinw1977

Jun 12

Martinw1977 says:

Fun not

Rode from haysham to Leicester late Friday night, 150 odd miles of motorway,peed it down the whole time,if somebody finds that fun they need a new hobby.

Reply to this Topic
twopoke

Dec 04

twopoke says:

in the winter in the cold with "waterproof clothes" (well thats what they are sold as!) on a gsxr 1000....... not really that fun

with the right gear (that actually is warm and waterproof)  and a bike that hasnt got £1k worth of plastics..... yea not too bad

i remember days of hooning about on my mx bike or my er5 not caring what the weather was..... depends entirely on the circumstances! i dont mind too much in the summer but not a fan in the winter!

Reply to this Topic
mike2265

Apr 11

mike2265 says:

Martinw1977

If anyone finds riding down any motorway fun in any sort of weather day or night they need a new hobby.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Motorway/Freeway

The one place I would not want to ride in the rain is the controlled access roads in major urban areas. As an example, in Chicagoland after rush hour (which is really stop-and-go crawl), traffic is heavy and fast, with so much spray one can barely see, since it is impossible to keep a decent distance from other vehicles. Not fun even in a car, particularly during dark evenings in the spring and fall.

I would think the rural Autobahn sections would be fun just as it gets light during summer mornings, as one could open things up legally without having to deal with much traffic.

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Guess so

I know a lot of folk who don't go out in the rain but if you put some logic to your driving , there is nothing to worry about.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices