Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: What's your dream commuter? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: What's your dream commuter?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: What's your dream commuter?

Ride to Work Day is on June 18. So… pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (12 June 2012 17:51)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mjlittlewood15

Jun 11

To Much

Why On earth Would you commute on such a big bike i would go for something like the ybr 250 plenty of speed for the motorway and easy and light around town and good mpg and cheap spares & maintenance, most of the above are too nice to be using to drive to work on if i came out and my ybr 250 was on the floor i wouldnt care as much as my S1000, or like the guy below said something like the suzuki gs500 are awesome commuter bikes.

Reply to this Topic
chriswren

Jul 09

chriswren says:

I know a lot of readers do have to commute on their bikes but commuting isn't fun and just turns your bike in to a mode of transport *yawn*

If I had to regularly travel any distance and did use a bike, then it would have to be one of the more road focused sports bikes say a blade, gixxer or even an RC8

Reply to this Topic
ruxxy

Oct 09

ruxxy says:

FUN FUN FUN

As the majority of my riding time is commuting, I try and make it as enjoyable as possible, hence my current ride being a Tuono. Awful in town, poor economy out of it and just too much when not in the mood. BUT, for the 10% of the time when all this doesn't matter or apply, shit it's fun. It's all just a frame of mind.

Reply to this Topic
jhandley

Aug 10

jhandley says:

Need some enjoyment!

The “ride to work” is different for everyone. I think of this as a 30 mile commute into central London and a fight with scooters for a parking space. For others it’s a blast through the country lanes with off-road parking at the end of it. I would choose a different bike for both of those scenarios. Having said that, one of the best commuters I had in my time was an old Yam DT175. Cheap, light, brilliant fun to ride, turned on a sixpence and an upright style for looking over traffic (or you could ride over it if you felt inclined!). Underpowered for a dual carriageway, so a 250 or more would have been better, but the important thing was that it made me look forward to the ride to work (well, the ride home anyway!). The last time I commuted I had an MV, but no way would I enjoy commuting on that, so I got myself an Aprillia Pegasso 650 Trail (surprisingly decent bike!), and equipped with a screen for the windblast, I would say that, or one of the similar offerings is just about right. A sports bike or a monster adventure bike for daily commuting seems too much like hard work.

A final thought is that in Paris recently I noticed that every bike commuter is actually a maxi-scooter commuter, as everyone uses them. Never tried one myself but who knows….??

Reply to this Topic
kylebandit81

Jun 12

kylebandit81 says:

Dream commuter

My drean commuter would be a turbo charged 400bhp bandit 1200 or a ducati streetfighter. Just like my dream 4 wheeled commute would be a monster truck or an old fuel guzzling mustang! When I win the lottery that's excatly how I'd rock up for my last few days at work..... Late and barely sober obviously. In a real sense though my bandit 1200 which hasn't got a turbo (yet) I wouldn't use in winter due it being too cold to clean it regularly and I hate seeing it dirty. Although I did use it up till December last year (that's when I got sick). I now live 2 miles from work so I'm lucky enough to cycle except on a Friday when I use the bike. Both of which I can store in a secure underground basement (government buildings are great). If I had to commute everyday again, maybe a CB500. Nice all rounders!

Reply to this Topic
TopCat77

Jun 09

TopCat77 says:

FZ1

Im on a FZ6 S2 Fazer... If I had the choice, Id upgrade to an FZ1 for my commute.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

What?

@ James600zx – What is that, a Harley-Davidson that got rear-ended by a F-86 Sabre?

Reply to this Topic
Ddod

May 12

Ddod says:

Bandit 1250

Commute on bandit 1250 every day for 2 years.  Sit up to see the traffic,  lots of low grunt for sudden bursts, which makes up for the weight. 

On other end of scale I have used a 250 trail bike - great for bumping up the odd kerb (when no-one's looking) for those hard to reach parking spaces - but I feel more comfortable with the bandit acceleration on hand

Reply to this Topic
lpgpro

Feb 12

lpgpro says:

None of the bikes listed seem a good choice for the daily commute, more a Sunday blast feature.

My commute is 40 miles round trip on a FZ6 S2 Fazer, ideal power and weight for busy traffic ques ansd not bad fuel consumption ( average 60 to the gal ) when riden gentley.

Would even go smaller, 250 ish to help with the tighter gaps. Maybe a feature on ideal commuters would be worthwhile as thats what a lot of us do on a daily basis..

Reply to this Topic
taz_of_tazmania

Nov 02

Bat Pod

It'd have to be the "Bat Pod" for me. That'd wake up the eejuts on their mobile phones ;-) http://bit.ly/KpiTqn

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices