You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Next big bike

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Qango

Jun 12

Qango says:

Next big bike

I have a Honda Hornet 600f, which I love. However I'm looking to upgrade to something with a bit more power but still same sort of riding position. I'm 5'7" and dont feel comfy on taller bikes. Additionally my partner has recently been coming along as pillion so would like something that has the Hornets performance with two on board. Also I've been naked and now enjoy the comforts of a reasonable fairing. Sat on a VFR800 and it felt a bit too big/tall for comfort but have seen a CBF1000 which I'm going to take for a spin now TT week is over. My question is what other bikes per the above could you suggest I look at 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (13 June 2012 09:17)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

FZ1/FZS1000...

CB1000R is the obvious choice if you want something a bit bigger and still naked. Its not much physically larger although it is a bit. Simmarly the Speed Triple and Ducati Monsters are worth a look. However if you want something with a Fairing have a look at the 1000 Fazers as alternatives to the CBF1000. Either FZS1000 or FZ1. The much more recent Kawasaki Z1000SX and the big bandits should also be on your list as possibles. I'm fairly short myself and find most of the above okay as they are. Certainly the FJR1300, CBF1000, Fazer FZS1000 and Bandit seemed to have a smaller seat height than the Deauville I used to own.
The more touring orientated FJR1300, K1300S, R1200, GTR1300 are not incredibly big. You might want to check them out. Again the FJR is smaller and easier to handle than a Deau...
To narrow these down look at your budget, how new you want to go, which manufacturers you want to buy (and which dealers you like) and the sort of riding you want to do...
There will be some who advise you can ride any bike and to some extent they are right but if you are short and struggle to reach the ground there will be times when you are either likely to drop it (particularly bad when carrying a pillion - its very useful to be able to get both feet down to get them on/off).
If you look at BMWs they are almost all available with reduced seat heights and reduced suspension options. The R1200GS was fine for me with the reduced seat alone and the K1200/K1300 is slightly smaller to start with.
I guess it depends on how much performance you want when carrying a pillion. You might even want to look at a F800ST - Its quite small and can be bought with low seat and low suspension to have a really low seat height.  Performance is not quite in 600 hornet league but because it has a LOT more low end grunt it will be better with a pillion than a hornet. In the end its up to you. Have a sit on a load of bikes in the showrooms, then test ride several bikes with and without pillions and take your time...

Andy.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices