Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Rossi or Agostini? MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Poll: Rossi or Agostini?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Rossi or Agostini?

Giacomo Agostini is 70 this weekend and MCN will feature an exclusive interview with the 15-times world champion next Wednesday. In the meantime, it seems like the perfect time to revisit that racing chestnut: who's the greatest - Ago or Rossi? Here are the raw stats: Agostini350cc world championships: 7500cc world championships: 8% of GPs entered won: 66Total GP wins: 122TTs won:...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (13 June 2012 09:42)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
cornbowl

May 12

cornbowl says:

come on

sprintst955, yep and does anyone remember the transatlantic races!! they were great, that was when you needed wellies to get around Malory Park when it was wet lol. 

Reply to this Topic
JKF011

Oct 11

JKF011 says:

Let's not forget MV Agusta

For most of Ago's career (and most of his 500cc wins) he was on MV Agusta machinery which was in another class to everything else - he often won races by MINUTES! Whilst undoubtedly one of the best ever his bike was the most dominant bike of its era (or any other era). He never had to do waht rossu did (I believe in '02) we had was 9 sec or so ahead, had a stop-and-go then won the race by 10 secs-ish. So, speculating, Rossi and Ago on the same machinery (say a late '90s 500?) I think Rossi would win almost all of the time. However, tracks were an altogether lairier experience then and perhaps Rossi has too much self-preservation to race head-to-head with Ago in that era?  Anyone have a game that cam simulate?

Cheers

John

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

I'm with 'sprint'.

Reply to this Topic
bluehaze60

Jun 10

bluehaze60 says:

ago,s record is pretty good considering that in ago,s days you scored 15 points for a win and there were only about 9 or 10 gp,s a yearso ago will have the higher percentage but its close as i like both riders

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

A pair of Goats against a God

Lawson for no other reason than 1989. These two preening Italians couldn't possibly perform on such a machine.

Reply to this Topic
ambushed61

Nov 10

ambushed61 says:

Yeah i quite fancy nigela lawson too !

Reply to this Topic
paso456

Jun 10

paso456 says:

I have had the opportunity to watch both race....both excellent....there is very little beween them...but I have to give the edge to Ago.....even today at almost 70 you can tell he was once really fast...at Daytona when he won against the best with a not so perfect Yamaha...having never before been at Daytona, never before on a 2-stroke...never before a 200 miler.....within just a few laps we was almost the infield ahead of the pack....and he finished races...rarely crashing on his own....once on a 350 yamaha, and in 6th place he won the race by setting a lap record each LAP for 12 laps in a row to win....things like this just don't happen...but they did....don't get me wrong, Rossi is today's best......but you know, there was once a guy named Phil Read who could give anyone a run on anything with two wheels.......ride safe guys

Reply to this Topic
williewheelbreaker

Jul 08

Birt changes question mid poll???

Of all the recent silly polls this was shaping up good as the start of the article reads "who is the greatest, Ago or Rossi". Then after the stats it changes to who would win in their prime..... well they both did.... DuH!!! Then the vote box just says "who would win"? Win what? A hair style contest???

I respect the other views on other riders mentioned as they are all heroes and legends in more ways than one. But the question however it is twisted is about Ago and Rossi. Should of just stayed "Who is the greatest". To which I would have to answer Ago. He had all the showbiz, glamour and fame of his era as Rossi had and way better stats to boot regardless of his machinery advantage which lets face it Rossi enjoyed at certain times too.

Ago's switch to Yamaha and 2 strokes at that time would make Rossi's switch to the M1 like climbing the stairs to go curl up in a nice warm bed!!!! Those who haven't experienced the "terror" need not opine.

Rossi really needed to beat Ago's career GP win record to definitively be considered "THE" most successful rider of all time. It was going to be a stretch on the M1 but the Ducati and some very fierce competition have pretty much put that dream to bed. This can only exasperate the debate?

Finally, loved Nostro's comment about Lawson..... that was impressive beyond belief.... single crank V4 suicide? As for others who dumbfound me from era's long before my time and in my time; gotta pay respect to Surtee's, Hailwood, Spencer, Rainey...... what was wrong with those guys??? They were nuts!

Speaking of nuts gotta give an honourable mention to the evil much maligned pirate, Max Biaggi. Not only was he virtually a constant threat to Rossi he had 4 250 titles in one of the most competitive eras ever. He did other cool things too like winning his 1st ever 500 GP! On an unsponsored V4 Honda! Scary.. And he took a year off before showing up in the WSBK paddock when guess what.... yes, he won his first ever SBK race! He could be a Supermotard champ if he put his mind to it too. Everybody likes the bad guy a little, sometimes, right?

Ciao Mama's !!! (Qoute to Eddie Lawson by arguably the "coolest" rider of all time, guesses on a post card pls)

Reply to this Topic
williewheelbreaker

Jul 08

Benny.....

Scoooooorrrrrrre!!!! _______ 10.0 _____ The judges decision is in..... Benny isn't a "Gold" category poster, but a well refined platinum titanium blend. Hedgehogs rule..... _____ Dovi, cool; Benny, cool; Luca..... Ice Cold. Right let's tell the story. _______ Wayne Rainey last year, visits Misano first time since the fateful day that ended his career. Wayne is hangin' in the hospitality unit with Eddie Lawson (also ice cold); Wayne's phone rings, it's for Eddie. Eddie says "hello".... Luca on the other end shouts in his ear... "Ciao Mama"!!! ________ ha ha ha I love that. Only racer after big boys retired who would hand Mick Doohan his arse on a plate. I remember an interview with Mick one year when Luca smoked'em on a YZR500 at Brno. Mick said, "If it is a good day, if Luca is happy; he is the fastest guy out there and nobody is gonna catch him". Respect!

Reply to this Topic
williewheelbreaker

Jul 08

Cadalora

No training, red wine, and regular smoker. Totally wrong era. Effectively gave two fingers to team boss Kenny Roberts at Donington by blitzing past Rainey to take the win after being signalled "2nd OK" to ensure Rainey scored max points after Schwantz was wiped out by an out of control Doohan. ________ Luca also took the win for Yamaha the day Rainey's career ended at Misano. He wore a 6 inch hole in the right side of his fairing hunting down and passing Schwantz for the win. Very sad day but Luca......... still cool.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices