Skip to content

Discuss This Cal Crutchlow: Lorenzo signing changes nothing MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Cal Crutchlow: Lorenzo signing changes nothing

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Cal Crutchlow: Lorenzo signing changes nothing

British rider Cal Crutchlow says Jorge Lorenzo’s decision to sign a new two-year contract with Yamaha’s factory MotoGP squad has little impact on his own future. Lorenzo has penned a deal for 2013 and ’14 with Yamaha, despite rumours of big interest from Honda to capture the Spaniard as replacement for Casey Stoner. Monster Yamaha Tech 3 rider Crutchlow still has no...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (14 June 2012 10:43)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
shawno76

Aug 10

shawno76 says:

What is the Bradders deal? Cal is the most Marketable

I imagine there was some kind of (2012 results) clause with Bradleys signing.  I'd be surprised if there wasn't.  Can't see a company as large as Yammy letting a contract be signed that didn't matter if he had DNF's or dead last all year jump on their bike the following season.  What has happened to the lovable (and formidable) Ginger, Is it really a done deal?  Are they working on nurturing him once he's on the seat - doesn't fit to me.  There's another 'elbow down' rider who is doing much better (odd haircut though)...

Which leaves the spare seat at Tech 3.  Would either Cal or Dovi stay if offered? Of course they bloody would.  It's a competitive machine (proven by both and more recent by Dovis excellent podium) but they both obviously want a factory ride.  It would seem Cal will have more options based on Dovis' history with Honda and the fact Rossi probably wouldn't want another Italian as a team mate (or more likely an italian who could beat him) - besides Dovis style wouldn't suit it.  Dovi will also be more expensive than Cal wherever he goes.  Which means Ducati could snap up Cal who would be thinking a) partner 'the' Doctor b) Most likely to adapt his aggressive riding style c) is known for being personable and getting on with his crew d) believes he can be competitive (proven almost by Nicky) - yes, we've seen and heard that before - but is Cal different?.  With sponsorship and the likes, could be a money maker for him and he'll be at the sharp end.  It's not unfeasible...

Which leaves Bens seat open to Cal or Dovi (and of course retention value by Ben if he comes good).  Gonna be an interesting juggle over the next few months.... if Bradders has that seat, I'd haul the person who wrote the contract in my office and have a conversation they would not enjoy.

Reply to this Topic
shawno76

Aug 10

shawno76 says:

Cal in Red. Dovi holding hands with Jorgé. Redding at Tech 3?

Ok, so it's unlkely he's moving up then.  So if you were Herve - what would you do?

- Make an offer now to Both Cal & Dovi?

- Keep one (if so, who?) and offer to Redding? does that make all British or a Brit and an Italian in a French based outfit?

- Nothing because he knows what Yamaha are going to do with Bens seat.

- Wait to see what Cal is going to do with a potential Ducati Offer.

- Move Ben back to Tech 3 to partner redding if Cal taks the Duke Ride.

I agree that Dovi would be best placed for the M1 promotion (as much as I want to see Cal take it)...

If Ben doesn't go back to Tech 3 and Dovi gets the ride and Cal moves to Ducati - who would partner Redding? (assume SR gets an offer)...

Reply to this Topic
adrenalin

Jun 09

adrenalin says:

Shawn, you seem to have covered every option except........what happens if they get rid of the rookie rule (which is what Honda are pushing hard for and will probably happen to allow Marquez a factory Honda spot straight away).

Obviously getting rid of the 'no rookies in factory teams' rule will apply not only to Honda but also Yamaha and Ducati, which could throw a wet blanket over Cal's hopes.

Yamaha could conceivably sign Luthi or Espagaro straight from Moto2 into the factory squad to counter HRC signing with Marquez........ Likewise, Ducati have already said they like the look of Scott Redding and Andrea Iannone, and a fresh young face at Ducati to partner Rossi next year maybe a good option for them (and cheaper than an established MotoGP rider like Cal too of course!).

Lastly, Tech 3 may have to honour their contract with Bradley but could conceivably run him on a CRT bike next year as a 3rd team member alongside the M! pairing of Dovi/Crutchlow/Spies (delete as applicable).

The plot thickens.....

Reply to this Topic
wild_stuart

Sep 02

wild_stuart says:

@shawno76

"- Move Ben back to Tech 3 to partner redding if Cal taks the Duke Ride." - Bit of a typo there? Think you mean Ben back to Tech3, would actually partner Bradley Smith.

Unless Dovi already has something in a contract agreeinga factory move (might be why he agreed to Tech3, though I think alas, he was desperate), it'll be a straight shoot out between Dovi and Cal over the next few races for that factory Yam seat. Unless Spies picks up his game, I think he's back to WSBK.

My 2 pence.... would see Redding at Gresini or LCR

Reply to this Topic
Zoggthefantastic

Sep 11

bradders

is on a performance contract. Also believe there is a possibility of putting him on a tech 3 crt machine. And benny just because cal has explored the options with yamaha and has been open enough to disclose them, doesn't mean that the blue door is closed to him. Although I don't think it's a straight who finishes top gets the seat situation.

Reply to this Topic
shawno76

Aug 10

shawno76 says:

No type mate :)

Wild man - wasn't a typo.  My proceeding question asked if there was a clause in the contract Bradley signed.  Bloodbubble pointed out there was (top 5 consistency).  Given his results barely scrape the top 10 it would seem a logical conclusion that he won't get the Tech 3 seat.  Putting Adrenalins comments in the mix about the rookie rule and the highly talented Luthi and Esparagro (who are simply a joy to watch) I thought Redding would be a candidate for Tech 3.  On reflection you could be right, but I can't see Bautista going anywhere else so kinda limits his options?  Love that fact Espargaro has been giving it large to Marquez too.

Agree that Andrea prolly had a long chat about Factory options when signing for Tech 3.  Maybe over a long island iced tea and a curly wurly.  The more I think about it, the more I'd like Cal to see take on the GP13..  Would be a real shame for Spies to end up back in WSB.  Had high hopes for him and let's be fair a GP winner in the Stonenzo era.  You are both right, the plot thickens and hell - everyone's riding for a top job... Good for us fans.

Reply to this Topic
RidgeRacerHRC

Mar 12

double up

Good picks there Benny. Seems like Crutchlow is determined to dip his toes in Ducati factory team. And Rossi back at Honda on a Gresini with factory support? niceeee...... see the old man last hurrah

The only two there that I cant see happening is Spies and Smith at Tech3. Bradders isnt even remotely in the top 5 as of yet to secure him one of Herves bike. And Spies back at T3??! wtf.... if he failed at the factory team when the bike is oh-so-good this year then im not sure they need him sticking around. What do they gain? just some American dude to help sell Yams in the States? ok..seems like that would be a waste of a good bike actually..

Reply to this Topic
wild_stuart

Sep 02

wild_stuart says:

@shawno76 (again)

Ahh,.. gotchya,... I didn't realise Bradders was on a performance based contract, I thought it was just a given. My bad.

One thing we've all potentially forgotten. Isn't Suzuki penned to return in 2013? Couple of seats for the uptake there too...

Reply to this Topic
bruncvik

Aug 09

bruncvik says:

@ BennyHedgehog

Pretty much agree with your guess at a grid for next year except that I'm far from sure that Yamaha will dump Spies. There's massive lobbying from Yamaha US to keep him, and the US is an important market to Yamaha - far more so than Italy, where MotoGP is set to take a nosedive in public interest thanks to the Sky Italia deal. All Spies has to do is bang in some podiums and the marketing dept will insist he stays on. So Dovi might end up still on a satellite Yam again next year. 

As for those comments made by some re. a performance clause in Bradley Smith's contract, there isn't one. How could there be when the team can't guarantee a competitive bike? He's locked into the MotoGP deal irrespective of performances this year. Over-hasty move by Poncharal IMO but there it is.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
shawno76

Aug 10

shawno76 says:

Hedgers....

Factory Honda - Bradl & Marquez (I am sure the rookie rule will be abolished and Pedrosa's had enough chances - as quick as he is)

Factory Yamaha - Lorenzo & Dovi (agreed - relutanctly on Dovi over Cal)

Factory Ducati - Crutchlow & Hayden (Simply can't see Rossi moving to a Satelite outfit that can afford him not to mention his reputation.  The question here is where does Hayden go?)

Tech3 - Spies and Smith (If you were Ben Spies having been booted out of a factory outfit, would you not be miffed with Yammy? He could potentially leave the series.  Hello WSB.  Am still not convnced on Smith being offered a ride unelss both Tech 3 boys go and Esparago, Luthi and Redding are signed elsewhere)

Gresini - Rossi (Bautista isn't going anywhere)

LCR - Marquez (Redding or Pedrosa)

Marc VDS Ducati - Redding (no idea)

A.N. Other Ducati - Bautista (no idea)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle