Skip to content

Discuss This Cal Crutchlow: Lorenzo signing changes nothing MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Cal Crutchlow: Lorenzo signing changes nothing

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Cal Crutchlow: Lorenzo signing changes nothing

British rider Cal Crutchlow says Jorge Lorenzo’s decision to sign a new two-year contract with Yamaha’s factory MotoGP squad has little impact on his own future. Lorenzo has penned a deal for 2013 and ’14 with Yamaha, despite rumours of big interest from Honda to capture the Spaniard as replacement for Casey Stoner. Monster Yamaha Tech 3 rider Crutchlow still has no...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (14 June 2012 10:43)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Ivebeenthehero

Jun 09

Performance clause for Bradley makes life more sane!

Ah I didn't know Bradley Smith needed to finish top 5 this year to get into MotoGP with Tech3. That makes a lot of sense. Frankly if he can't finish top 5 in Moto2 he really has no business in MotoGP, particularly when it involves taking a ride from one of two riders either of which would win in Moto2 with one arm behind their back.  

Reply to this Topic
RobTZ

Feb 10

RobTZ says:

Performance Clause

I never realised Bradley had such a thing in his contract. I would love to see Cal win a MOTO GP and believe he may do so.

Our last best chance in GP was Niall Mackenzie. And that was a long time ago.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Ivebeenthehero

To be fair to Smith that Tech 3 bike does not seem competitive. And I don't understand your assertion that he would be "one of two riders either of which would win in Moto2 with one arm behind their back". He wouldn't be taking a ride from anybody. Both Tech 3 riders contracts finish at the end of this year and both will be looking for a factory ride. In contractual terms (the only terms that matter) that's Bradley's seat to take, not the other way round. For both Cal and Dovi I suspect that Tech 3 will be the fall back position, why should Herve keep their seats warm when they are off negotiating with the factories?

And they could win easilly in Moto2? Don't kid yourselves, the standard in Moto2 is high this year and while they are on a competitive bike in MotoGP it's seems pretty clear that the Tech 3 Moto2 machine is not particularly competitive. It would be interesting to debate whether a performance clause in Smith's contract means much when he hasn't been given a bike to fulfill that clause. They should buy him a Suter chassis and see if that improves matters.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Benny

You miss my point. Smith has a clause in his contract requiring him to finish in the top 5 in order to move to MotoGP next year. This clause could only be considered fair if he was actually given a bike that was capable of letting him or anybody else finish in the top five of the championship. The Tech 3 bike clearly isn't capable of this as it stands. As such it would be unjust if Tech 3 were to enforce this contract and deny him a place in MotGP for 2013. Either Herve should accept that the clause is unreasonable or he should let Bradley have a go on a competitive machine to prove his worth. Otherwise this is a very one sided contract.

Reply to this Topic
bruncvik

Aug 09

bruncvik says:

Re. Smith contract

jollyboy said: 'Smith has a clause in his contract requiring him to finish in the top 5 in order to move to MotoGP next year.' 

No he doesn't! Some people are taking an off-the-cuff remark BS made about Yamaha "liking" to see him in the top 5 way too seriously. He is guaranteed the ride, irrespective of performance.

If you want further proof just go and read the recent interview with Smith on motogp.com, where he says very clearly that it's nice to have the reassurance that he's definitely off to MotoGP next year "regardless of what happens this year."

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
adrenalin

Jun 09

adrenalin says:

simply because Tech 3 couldn't afford to buy Moto2 spec motors from the supplier Geo Tech.

Not true. None of the Moto2 or Moto3 teams had acces to this years spec Geo Tech engines until the final test of the year. I think in In previous tests there was a mixture or Supersport spec, bog stock and self tuned motors being used by diferent teams, which made it almost impossible to judge form ahead of the season start proper. 

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

adrenalin

You beat me to it. The teams got their engines for the last test, it was nothing to do with money - the engines were not available before then.

Not only that, but it's not like the Moto2 spec engine is anything particularly special. An engine with roughly that power output would not be that expensive to build. 

I know the idea of the single engine deal for Moto2 was supposed to achieve a couple of things; to keep costs down; and to allow a variety of chassis manufacturers to be competitive. However I don't think using a production engine is a relatively mild state of tune has created a good feeder class for MotoGP. I think the contract expiring at the end of 2012 created an oportunity to rethink things. Unfortunately it hasn't happened.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices