Skip to content

Discuss This Speeding penalties set to rise General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Speeding penalties set to rise

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Speeding penalties set to rise

Fixed penalties for speeding could rise from £60 to £90 under proposals announced by the Government. Careless drivers will become an offence that can be dealt with by a £90 fixed penalty instead of a summons under the plans. Under the fixed penalty system, offenders could be given the option attending a course instead getting points on their licence.  Announcing a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (14 June 2012 15:10)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
may c

Aug 02

may c says:

fixed penaltys

please please raise the fine and points for driving while on the mobile . treble it for the woman i saw today driving while on  the phone with 3 bloody kids in the car.

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

£60 --> £90? 50% rise?

A 50% rise - well that's to take inflation into account, no doubt.  But as may_c says above,  the fine for using a mobile ought to be HUGE, not treated like some minor parking offence.

But it won't.  BILLIONS of texts and calls are made illegally in car journeys each year, and there's no way the telephone company's paid representatives in office (otherwise known as our government) are going to cost them money.

Reply to this Topic
redracer46

Oct 11

redracer46 says:

mobiles

I do not agree with fine rises for minor offences like 30 mph zones where slipping over by just a few mph is very easily done, and the treasury knows it.... I absolutely agree with the comments about mobiles. Id say 9 out if 10 times if someone nearly clobbers me out riding, they are on their phones !!! The amount of people texting when driving is incredible, and in my view worse than talking as there not even looking at the road doing that! IF fines are based on the seriousness of consequences then its fair to say that in comparative terms someone speeding who is concentrating on the road is far less likely than some wally driving at or under the speed limit but only paying half attention to their driving and others and the other half working out how to change the predictive on their mobile....

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Cautiously optimistic about this

It entirely depends on how it'll be used by the rozzers.

Used properly, they'll nab every tailgating White Van Man, make-up-applying slag, and LOL TXT DOOD.  I'd expect most of them to be offered "education" by the same "Speeding's bad, m'kay" company owned by the local Chief Constable's brother-in-law.  Oh, and with fines set to rise, the costs that they charge will also rise.

Whether any of it will sink in is anyone's guess.  I'm guessing not, and it will essentially let the incompetent and homicidal just pay to stay on the road indefinitely.

But given how few people are prosecuted for careless driving now - pull out on a bike, and it's generally an insurance issue rather than a criminal one - then maybe it'll encourage the rozzers to actually concentrate on something other than just making easy Speed Tax collars to fill their quotas.

Eh, who knows.  Mike "the bike" Penning seems like a sensible bloke, I'm minded to trust him on this one - as long as it's coming from him and not the Treasury.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

It's all about money

pure and simple. Smoking kills but the government are happy to take the Tax money. Drinking kills .....Same thing. Working hard.... kills but (most) of us are having to work harder to pay yet higher taxes and fines for having fun...

Reply to this Topic
busaman195

Aug 09

busaman195 says:

easy money

took them all this time to raise this up,will have to ride a little more carefully.....yes may c ,about time i say.

Reply to this Topic
joeslow

Mar 07

joeslow says:

Oh goody

Didn't take long for the government to abandon their "end of war on the motorists" promise did it?

When you promise something should you not honour it?

Here's mine: I promise not to vote for any of the 3 main parties next general election.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

The police won't interpretate these rules as most would like

We all know that these increased fines will be used only for easy convictions (ie yet more speeding enforcement). Occasionaly the odd driver on the phone might be caught but automated speed enforcement (and cameras checking for those driving illegally in bus lanes etc) is the cheapest and easiest option so that's all the police will really be interested in

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Regressive

Flat-rate fines are regressive. £90 is nothing to an executive from The City, but food money for a month for some working blokes.

Reply to this Topic
KimLondon

Jan 08

KimLondon says:

Yay!

It's a tax you don't have to pay, only the stupid end up forking out so everyone's a winner - hurrah! Keep to the rules and BINGO some other putz pays your tax for you. I can't see why anyone would complain at this? Just pay attention and you don't have to pay. It's like having a tax on sticking your d**k in the cheese grater - if you're stupid enough to do it then cough up the money.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices