Skip to content

General Multiple questions about being a first time commuter in London. General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Multiple questions about being a first time commuter in London.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

joshnathan

Jan 11

joshnathan says:

Multiple questions about being a first time commuter in London.

Hello All,

After getting a job in Canary Wharf with a work day from 6am to around 7pm i realised getting a bike would be the best option. 

Being 21 i really only want to stick to a 125 or potentially a 250. However, i haven't started any tests yet. 

Basically i have a few questions i want to ask regarding riding in london and tests. 

1) Should i get a restricted license straight away or should i stick to a CBT for a while? 

2) What bike should i get? The general consensus from the reviews i've been reading is a CBF125 however, having never had a bike i don't know if this is just hype or the bike i should really go for. I want to get one second hand but i don't mind spending £2k on something for now. 

3) finally does anyone have any tips or tricks for riding in london especially regarding parking in canary wharf? 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (15 June 2012 13:31)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

incomplete answers

IMHO get full license asap

Bike - any commuter-style 125 or 250 will suit you well; unless you ride all of them for extended periods you'll never actually know if you got the best or second best one, etc.

You may want to factor in insurance before you buy; you may also want to look at on-bike storage for things like over-trousers, boots, and helmet - if work does not present any type of storage option

London riding can be hairy. Couriers have little patience for newbies on 125s or scooters; neither do buses or taxi-dirvers. Otherwise, eyes everywhere, but don't be over hesitant; own your patch of road or someone else will take it.

No idea about parking in canary warf.

Reply to this Topic
drsqueelgood

Apr 05

drsqueelgood says:

Hi Josh

I've been commuting into London for 34 years and have tried everything from sports bikes to scooters. I've found that a small capacity bike suits my commuting needs best so I use a CBF125 (only 2 and a half grand new!!) which returns around 125mpg for the 32 mile a day journey.

As AN says, it depends on the length of your journey and the type of roads you use. A small cc bike will struggle a bit on motorways and this will become tiring over time.

I come into the centre of London and pass Canary Wharf on my way in so I'm not sure what provision there is for bike. I assume that there will be designated bike parking bays so make sure you buy a decent lock for your bike too.:winkie:

Reply to this Topic
750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

I commute

most days on the Gixxer.. No problems.. any bike's fine really.

Oh yeah...... (as with all riding but especially London) ride like everyone is trying to kill you... give yourself space.. give cars space.. 100% concentration when filtering.. Headlight on FULL-beam.. keep wheelies to a minimum:wink:.. look, LOOK.. LOOOOK!!!!

Take care bud and you'll be OK!   

Reply to this Topic
joshnathan

Jan 11

joshnathan says:

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the tips i think my commute will be no more then about 20 miles a day as i'm going to be commuting from the kings cross area or the bank area depending on where i move in a years time. 

I have decided on getting the KTM duke 125 just because it looks amazing however, I WILL test ride the cbf as well just in case. 

Can anyone give me some pointers on what security measures i should take for example locks, disk locks etc. Whats going to reduce my insurance the most and whats going to really deter the inner london scum?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices