Skip to content

Discuss This Smart money superbikes - the best used examples First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Smart money superbikes - the best used examples

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Smart money superbikes - the best used examples

The 1000cc sports bike class has ripped in two and there are now two distinct camps. In the ‘extreme’ corner there’s the super-powerful, electronically-enhanced superbikes, like the Aprilia RSV4, BMW S1000RR, Ducati Panigale and Kawasaki ZX-10R. Over in the other is the new Fireblade, GSX-R1000 and R1. These much-loved Japanese machines are the old guard and have all been worthy...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (15 June 2012 14:32)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Zedster88

Feb 12

Zedster88 says:

R1 real world super bike

Riding a superbike is only a past time hobbie for me, I have a 2010 R1 and love it, It has more than enough power and grunt. I do a few track days a year but to be honest I am not good enough to take the bike to its limit. In the real world the R1 is very easy to ride it is so smooth you can ride around town in second gear. I also like the weight and size of the bike it's heavier and bigger than the others, when i am doing long distances on the motorway it feels very stable and offers good wind protection. However it did take a while to get use to but once I did it felt as agile as my old R6. I did look at the others but the price of the BMW, Ducati and Apirllia were too steep. On top of the purchase of the bike I also looked at running costs such as insurance, servicing, repairs and accessories. The Japanese bikes gives a lot more value for money. I don't think paying the extra money for the gadgets is worth it in the real world. Just ride slower in poor conditions and take the bike on to track if you want to let rip.

Reply to this Topic
ERP30

Apr 06

ERP30 says:

No but Yes

They are all fantastic machines... I opted for new this year zx10r 2012 .. Very happy with it but must admit 80 percent of the time its ridden below 4000 revs ... for me i use it to commute to work and could have picked any of the bikes but because i had a z750 before it, the Kawasaki was more appealing. I was a GSXR1000 fan and was hoping that for 2012 i would be buying a new one but because of the boring update i stuck with kawasaki. Its handy to have traction control for wet days and turn the power mode to low but its not really needed because any good motorcyclist will get used to the bike and power. Personally i dont think the bikes need all these new electronic aids but it excites me to think whats next and when handing over allot of cash for them, i want everything i can possibly have. In five years when its paid off, it will still hopefully be up to date with the latest of machines... As the old saying goes 'I used to be it, but they have changed what it is' :-) ..... So for me keep the gadgets coming ...

Reply to this Topic
wings1372

Aug 02

wings1372 says:

I love my GSXR1000L0 and have ridden a mates S1000RR and TBH I never needed the traction control or ABS. That's because I'm not riding on the limit on the roads though, I find modern tyres to be amazing that the bike just doesn't lose any traction how I ride. I'm a very confident rider but I can understand that some may want the security of these TC & ABS systems so it's definitely a good thing that they are available. Others may want to use the bike on track or ride faster, to the point where TC is required.

For me, it would be best to offer it as an optional extra, just like BMW have, so those that need or want it can pay the extra bit for it and those that don't get the bike a bit cheaper. I've nothing against any of the systems and think progress is good but the cost of bikes keeps going up so if they could be kept lower by making some things options then it can only be good.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Used?

May be better in the UK due to graduated licensing, but here in the US I would not buy a used sport-bike unless thoroughly gone over by a mechanic and/or provided with some warranty by a dealer. Too many teen-aged “squids” that ride extended wheelies, do burn-outs, etc, that will definitely decrease the longevity of the bike and/or require expensive repairs prematurely.

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

2000 R6 is best

New ones are too bogged down with tech that weighs it down and is just one more thing to break. The old R6 is as resillient as it gets. My dad has had his running for at least 12 years now (bought new). All these electronics just take attention away from the fact that they are just both ...bikes... And thats all we want. We don't need something to tell us when we are losing grip in our back tire , we dont want something to tell you when your right front indicator bulb is going to blow. Sure it is nice. But is it really needed?

Reply to this Topic
Ovski

Nov 10

Ovski says:

Fireblade for me

I picked up my 2001 'blade last weekend for just £2600 and I haven't stopped smiling since. Full Honda service history, 2 owners and low mileage - i just couldnt turn it down for that money. I'm sure that any of the new bikes, even the 600's, would probably be quicker on paper but its more than enough power for the congested roads near me.

Reply to this Topic
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

Owned

An Aprilia RSV for 6 years, recently took it for a major service and was lent an Aprilia RSV4 APRC for the weekend. Hated it, got back on my old bike and it felt fantastic, the V4 is a track bike, for the road the old twin has stacks of low down grunt and is spacious enough to  ride all day two up with a protective fairing.

I think they've gone too far, too extreme as the roads are too heavily policed/potholed to use thepower of these new miniscule pocket rockets.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle