Skip to content

Ask an Expert buying new bike from France? Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > buying new bike from France?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Valko

May 12

Valko says:

buying new bike from France?

I am looking for new bike and I wonder does anybody bought new bike from France, any import issues?

I know for sure Honda has warranty cover for the whole of EU so the warranty should not be an issue.

New bike prices seem 500-700 hundred pounds cheaper there.

For example new Hornet is 6590 EUR = 5300 pounds: http://www.artois-moto.com/promotion-destockage-honda-cb-hornet-roadster_cd1_225.html

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (15 June 2012 22:09)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Headlamps

will dip slightly to the right, so you'll need to correct that (have them slightly aiming left before it goes through the first MoT.

If its a new bike, speedo / odo should be switchable between miles / km (if its an older one with dials you may have a problem.

Not sure how it stands with DVLA, but if its a foreign import, it might need Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) before they issue papers, and insurance may want to know too.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Importing

Honda will not be content to honor a warranty on a bike bought outside the UK.  In theorey, under EU law, they should but there is history here with the parallel importers in the 90's.  The manufacturers position is that each bike is market-specific and they also want to insist that the bike is dealer-built and PDI'd in the country use.  Of course many of these arguments do not hold up but, if you do have a claim don't expect Honda to make it easy.

The digital speedos fitted to UK bikes are witchable between MPH and KPH bit I do not believe that the EU models are switchable to MPH.  However this can be fixed with an after-market plug in device. Also, French bikes are resticted to 100 bhp.        

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

My last new bike..

..came from Belgium.  Speedo switchable, engine temp in Celcius, identical bike as sold in the UK and across the whole EU (except 100 ps restricted version for France) but not the same as sold in e.g. the US.  No issues insuring it, but needs a phone call to two, most screen scrapers can't cope.  Universal horizontal dipped beam cut-off with no adjustment for LHD/RHD.  Just the same after new headlight fitted under warranty.

Warranty fully honoured by Suzuki UK, which is good as it was claimed on three times, it just needed a friendly dealer to sort the necessary paperwork to get the warranty registered in the first place (Certificate of Conformance, V5 and eyeball of bike's ID needed).  No problem getting registered either as it came with it's own Certificate of Conformance, showing it meets EU type approval.

Not sure all dealers would be so obliging, but I think mine were happy to get their hands on a couple of year's servicing bills - they were making very little on each bike sale anyway.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
slparry

Aug 02

slparry says:

limited

dont forget French bikes have restricted horsepower ... (100hp maybe?)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices