You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > Overtaking/Filtering

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

MrKarl

Sep 11

MrKarl says:

Overtaking/Filtering

Is there a difference between overtaking and filtering? 

When I ride into town early morning or rush hour coming out, traffic is always solid. Overtaking on a pedestrian crossing is illegal. Without fail the traffic is solid with a pelican crossing in the middle. I always filter here to get round the traffic.

Reason for asking is that a few months ago an off duty police officer pulled me out of college to talk about a maneuver I did. A guy was unhappy that I filtered past him for some reason so went a foot off my rear wheel. I didn't want the tit to be right up my arse so overtook 2 cars and proceeded on till I got to college which was less than 1/4mile from where I overtook. He said that I would've got 6 points because I overtook on a zebra crossing and therefore could have lost my licence. He understood that I wanted to get away but still warned me if he was on duty I would've been a bit screwed. 

So if I were to filter past people over the crossing I mentioned earlier is that illegal?

Just don't want to be pulled again, it was a stupid maneuver and I understand it was my fault as well :upset: 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (16 June 2012 14:51)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Filtering / Overtaking

Filtering is a form of overtaking.  Any overtaking on a crossing or zig-zag lines is unlawful and, in a lot of cases, overtaking on the approach to a crossing is unwise. 

The policy in a lot of forces is to educate rather than prosecute and I am sure that you would rather be on the receiving end of a few harsh words and take on-board what has been said rather than have to take yout test again. 

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Filtering past stationary traffic on a pedestrian crossing.

I would think if you slow right down for a pelican crossing and have a good look before going over it, that would be inoffensive enough. If this off-duty policeman was moved to follow you and "pull you out of college" you must have appeared lacking in caution and probably hammered across, no? Or maybe he was a jobsworth with an axe to grind.

Reply to this Topic
MrKarl

Sep 11

MrKarl says:

I see

I'll take note that I should be slower and be cautious when going across.

He took me out cause I drove like an idiot and I admit that, just didn't want the guy being even more dangerous by being a touch off my rear wheel. I was doing 50 in a 30 to do the overtake.

I don't drive fast normally just did in that case but he took me out to just tell me what I did wrong and should watch out. 

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

filtering

You can filter on white zig-zags. BUT, you must not pass the car that is waiting at the crossing, ie the one at the front.

You can pull in behind it, and wait for the traffic to continue.

The police (round here) have a habit of telling porkies (pun intended) to "youngsters" to scare them.

Reply to this Topic
arryace

Apr 10

arryace says:

Don't do it

as eatcs01 says.

you can filter past the queing traffic but you must not overtake the vehicle nearest to the crossing or a vehicle stopped at the crossing.

Rule 191 of the highway Code.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

On zig-zags

must not let the front of your vehicle pass the front of the lead vehicle, regardless whether that's moving or not - however, the moment the front of the lead vehicle crosses the line, you can push on past.  A biker PC I spoke to said he'd try to do you for careless instead, so best be careful out there.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices