Ask an Expert Traffic Islands Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Traffic Islands

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

firedragon675

May 12

Traffic Islands

A while back my son got done for going the wrong side of a traffic island. However this morning riding into work (Ride to Work day!) I saw lots of people doing it and at one island it had the white plastic bollards on a small kerbed "island" but they did not have the blue "keep left" arrows on them - would it still have been illegal to go right of them?

M

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (18 June 2012 09:59)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Steveyman

Jan 08

Steveyman says:

Roundabouts

All roundabouts should be treated as a roundabout even the tiny small painted ones. They are to direct traffic in a certain direction so everyone knows who's going where.(in theory!!) You should always go around to the left. If you go on the right side of it as a shortcut it is an illegal move.

The only time you can go over or shortcut a small roundabout is if the vehicle you are driving is simply too big to get around it.

Usually why they put painted roundabouts in awkward places.

Hope this helps.:smile

Reply to this Topic
roseyeric

Oct 11

roseyeric says:

helps

Who mentioned round-a-bouts?

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

Rosey....

lol...

Reply to this Topic
zx12rbadassisnowzx6rbadass

Sep 11

i was always

under the impression that u are allowed to ride over mini roundabouts,i.e the painted ones:blink: i dont know about the little islands tho bit crap really:dopeyhmmmm:

Reply to this Topic
ajmcguk

Feb 12

ajmcguk says:

er...

I'm not sure how you go the 'wrong side' of a traffic island without crossing over to the other side of the road? If that's the case, then of course it's not 'allowed'...

... unless I'm missing something...

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

i have filtered past loads of traffic islands before and never had a problem as i make sure there is no on coming traffic before hand and the traffic going the same way as me is stopped.  have never been done. even tho 3 time i was close to a cop car.

you do mean traffic islands and not round about big or small?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

Painted RBTs & Traffic Islands

Painted RBTs,

It is an offence to ride/drive over the painted spot unless the size of the vehicle make it too difficult to negotiate without driving/riding over part or all of it. It is a RBT & should be treated like any other RBT (type with raised kerb).

Traffic Islands.

It is an offence to pass them on the right unless they are splitting two lanes in the same direction i.e. on a pedestrian rest in a multi lane road or one way street.

That said, unlike using a mobile phone while driving, there is no specific offence so they are covered by one of the 'umbrella' charges of driving with due consideration to other road uses, without due care & attention, carless-reckless-dangerous driving etc.

As these are harder to prove (grey areas) they are less likely to attract the attention of the police (lack of manpower to persue a court case).

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

islands

are to seperate traffic flows with warning lines and lane lines involved as well,keep to one side but not both.

Who mentioned roundabouts?

Reply to this Topic
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

Steveyman did

:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

makemrider