Skip to content

Discuss This British MotoGP: Ben Spies mystified by rear tyre issue MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > British MotoGP: Ben Spies mystified by rear tyre issue

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

British MotoGP: Ben Spies mystified by rear tyre issue

Ben Spies is still seeking his first MotoGP podium of the season after a sudden and early drop in rear grip ended his victory challenge at Silverstone yesterday. The American led for the opening four laps but dropped back to sixth with a lack of rear grip from his soft Bridgestone rear tyre selection. Andrea Dovizioso’s crash out of the top three...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (18 June 2012 12:23)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

Mystified?

Yeah, and we're all mystified as to how he's still got a job!

Baz

Reply to this Topic
screamer69

Oct 05

screamer69 says:

your Spies envy..

...is duly noted..perhaps you'll produce someone as good as spies some day...in ain't Cal..

Reply to this Topic
IcantRIDEaBIKE

Aug 09

Spies

He's made huge progress everytime he has moved up in his career, I think on this occasion though it is now extremely evident that he's taken a step to far. I think he deserves to be in MotoGP as he obviously has raw pace but a factory ride? No. A satelite? Maybe. A CRT? About his true level I would say.

Good luck in the future to him but he is a massive reason for the dullness of MotoGP right now, A waste of a lethal weapon, the M1, in the Factory Yamaha Set up

Reply to this Topic
thestig08

Dec 08

thestig08 says:

without abusing him

I think he is just having a tough time and his confidence is failing him ,I can't see anything holding his place in the factory squad as things are,It is going to be a tough time for a lot of riders as there are too few rides,They keep moaning about small grids ,here is a suggestion all the current bike should be leased next year to the crt teams at an affordable rate, and on a year on year basis,there would be depth of field and some surprises.The likes of Spies despite his form should not be left with no alternative and they would make the grid even more creditable,Having seen the riders on stage interviewed at Silverstone we are all guilty of harsh comments on all of them at times, me for one being guilty,yes they have a great job and are paid well,but we forget they are all human, but to a man they all gave a good account of themselves and came over as decent people on stage, Rossi giving an autograph and photo to a doting young girl and Jorge signing his hat and throwing it to the crowd good set up pr? maybe, but nice to see another side to these people,I for one though its a bit harsh the abuse they get at times ,No doubt I will revert to type but I thought i would share the other side of the coin with you ,But yes I agree Ben is in trouble for next season as things stand but He is not a knob or Dickhead is he !

Reply to this Topic
YamahaGYTR

Sep 11

YamahaGYTR says:

Missed opportunity for Ben 11 points is better than nothing but he does need to up his game as the pressure is mounting hopefully the recovery starts at Assen in two weeks.

Reply to this Topic
thestig08

Dec 08

thestig08 says:

N.B screamer69

Only Just seen your posting,Sorry Mate I disagree Cal is as good as Spies and is a great character,I know your not aiming your shot at me and I may be biased, but what a ride yesterday from the man ,if he were on that blue and white one this year I think he would keep the job ,sorry

Reply to this Topic
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

IcantRIDEaBIKE - what a dumbass comment

So you say Spies true level is "CRT"?? Really? Never mind what he has already done in the past on a satellite bike in getting a pole and some podiums, or even winning an actual race on the factory bike, but he just lead 4 laps YESTERDAY and qualified 2nd on Saturday after leading just about the whole session. To say a guy who was leading a MotoGP race in the dry is only CRT level is ridiculous. No, I don't think Spies will be retained by the factory squad (unless he sets the paddock on fire and win multiple races) and yes he's had a terrible year, but to say he's not on a level to even be on a satellite bike is either ignorant or bias.

Reply to this Topic
YamahaGYTR

Sep 11

YamahaGYTR says:

RawDawg I am sure Yamaha USA can play a part in Ben staying in the factory Yamaha set up how long has Hayden being in works team without getting the results expected when you are in a top team.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

With things the way they are at the moment any rider with a full factory japanese bike should be finishing top four almost every race. The competition for those three remaining seats is going to be pretty hot, and so far Ben just isn't proving he can deliver the results. He's on what is arguably the best bike out there and yet he has been regularly beaten by guys on signigicantly worse bikes. Even regular podiums for the rest of the season might not be enough. If he's being chased to the line by the likes of Cal, Dovi and Bautista then the factories would have to be stupid not to consider them better riders. What he really needs to do to secure a ride is win severak races, but with the championship the way it is beating Lorenzo might not go down too well with Yamaha. And as for that tyre, why did it go off? Well there are three possibilities. One is a dodgy tyre, which is unlikely. Another is that the bike/setup was working the tyre too hard, well Lorenzo coped on the same bike and Dovi and Cal weren't hanging about so unless Spies setup was way out that also looks unlikely. The third is that Spies simply pushed it too hard in the early stages and overheated the tyre. This seems the most likely. If the only way he can hold the lead is by pushing his tyres too hard then things aren't looking as good for him as some seem to think. On the subject of Dovi it seems more than likely that he would have beaten Spies had he stayed on, still being beaten by a satellite bike is not a good career move tyre excuses or not.

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

Interesting points

Rawdawg, you know im not Spies biggest fan but im with you. The guys is one of the top six riders out there and deserves his place in moto GP ,and the championship needs him to find his better form soon.

I think Jollyboys got a point though, chances are he fried his tyre pushing too hard yesterday, due to the pressure thats currently on him to produce the goods if he wants to keep his factory ride. Lorenzo played it cool and made his move from lap seven and was brillant.

Thats two races running now on the face of it Ben has shot his bolt far too early and blown it, when in a good position. Hardly the stuff of a future champion or a pukka factory rider.

Which brings me to elbowz point, even if Yamaha america stump up the cash, why the help should Spies be allowed to keep a factory seat when he's clearly not good enough? Thats why the sport is losing its fans.

IMO its time to get rid of all the electronic bollocks and get back to a proper race series and see some real racing again, not this neutered  four horse races bollocks. (sorry six with tech 3 ,but their not really right at the front are they)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices