You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > accident

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Fleaby

Jun 12

Fleaby says:

accident

My partners bike was knocked over by a lorry who reversed in to it, the lorry then drove away. The accident was witnesses by several people and cctv, police won't do anything, the lorry comp has two weeks to report the accident, is this true?.  If anyone has been through this before please let me know of the outcome.

fleeby

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (18 June 2012 20:27)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

"police won't do anything"

Why the hell not?

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

As with James

its been witnessed, its on CCTV, so there is obviously evidence. On top of that, the wagon must have sustained damage (so someone must have repaired it, either a dealer or the operator themselves).

Reply to this Topic
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

Police are not interested

provided no one is hurt & and names & addresses are exchanged. You must also inform any third party if their property is damaged (street furniture etc. to council, telegraph poles to Openreach & so on).

In this case the other driver left the scene of the accident without exchanging details & therefore must report it within a set period of time. If not then it's two offences &I believe  you can force the the police to persue the matter.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Accident

Why would the Police be interested?  What offence has been committed?  This is a civil matter and should be sorted by your respective insurance companies. 

Reply to this Topic
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

It is an offence

It's 'hit & run'. If details are exchanged then the police won't bother otherwise they can & should persue for 'leaving the scene of an accedent' without reporting it.

A friend has just had he door mirror clipped by a van, police informed & are persuing the van driver for failing to stop.

Insurance company will deal with the damage but police with the offence.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Police interest.

Criminal damage? Failure to stop? I don't know if these apply but even so, if CCTV footage is available to help trace the lorry shouldn't they be happy to help?

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Failing to Stop

At the scene of an accident where damage has been caused is a Criminal Offence. If one of the witnesses got the reg no that would help but yes, the police should be chasing this up with a request for the cctv footage etc.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

If

you don't have a twat to claim against then it's a MIB job. Have you got a reference number from the cops to give the insurance company?

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Accident

Perhaps I should have worded my comment better.  By asking what offence had been committed I was suggesting that it was not a serious enough matter for the Police to want to get involved.  Particularly these days when they are having to deal with more with diminishing resources.  

I believe that the obligation in the event of an accident is to EXCHANGE details with the other party - something you cannot do if they are not there.  (I don't think that there is anything laid down in respect of the other party being absent - is there?)  Although mosty of us would be considerate enough to leave a note there are those that do not. 

If the details of the vehicle are known then this can be followed up via an insurance claim.  After all, the desired result is to get the bike repaired. 

One final thought.  I would not assume that the driver drove off deliberately.  In an LGV it is quite possible to hit a parked bike and not even know it.

Let your insurance company do all the chasing - after all, that's what you pay them for. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

It's also what we pay the police for.

I don't think insurance companies can take statements from third-party witnesses unless via the police, can they? And they'll need police approval to access CCTV footage.

We're assuming the lorry driver won't get in touch, which hopefully is incorrect.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices