Skip to content

Ask an Expert Traffic offense.... Legal

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > Traffic offense....

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

pporfirio

May 09

pporfirio says:

Traffic offense....

I have been riding for about 30 years, but only about 5 years in the UK. Two way traffic road with concrete islands separating traffic. Lane 1 and 2 go straight ahead, while lane 3 is to turn right. There is a traffic light for lanes 1 and 2 with green arrows, and a traffic light to turn right for lane 3 as there is a lot of traffic coming the other way on two lanes. The lanes are narrow with lots of traffic, in London.

I was filtering keeping between lanes 2 and 3. Traffic lights for lanes 1, 2 and 3 were red. Traffic lights to move forward on lanes 1 and 2 turned green, while traffic lights for lane 3 stayed red. There were no gaps to merge onto lane 3. I had my indicator on, but as traffic was very heavy there no gaps for about 150 yards, which is unusual.

If I stayed to wait for a gap to open when the traffic light for lane 3 turned green I would be in a dangerous position with cars, vans, buses and lorries passing very close to my left just a few inches away at 30mph. I decided to keep making progress and if I could not find a gap to merge, move to the front of the line of cars. As I got closer to the front of the line, I realized there were two vans after the white line, waiting to turn right as the oncoming traffic was heavy. My judgement was that it was unsafe to try and swerve and stop before the first van (the intersection is usually damp as it is under a bridge and the weather had been bad), but I could see there was enough space between the vans. So that is where I stopped.

Once the lights turned green, I moved on and then realized that there was heavy traffic on the road I was heading into.

A hundred yards ahead I was asked by a motorcycle officer to stop. He gave me a ticket for failing to move ahead even though I was filtering into the lane that goes to the right.... I received a court summons. How do I plea? Not guilty, go there and explain my case? Should I get a solicitor?

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (19 June 2012 12:58)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Hi

Can't say that I have ever heard of such an offence, how did this police officer know what the risks and hazards were from where you were sitting.

Sounds like you need to get a solicitor.

Reply to this Topic
NORTHERNHELLBOY

Feb 10

ticket for failing to move ahead?

are you sure dude?..

check this link :list of motoring offence codes 

what exactly doeas the summons say?...but its sounds as if its worth paying a solicitor

Reply to this Topic
pporfirio

May 09

pporfirio says:

Acquited....

Got a solicitor, and guess what, the court apparently acquiteed me when my solicitor asked for a couple of weeks to get the video from the police officer. The system works! Costed me £1,000 though....

I did nto get the points, what will amke a huge differenc eon insurance, but the police officer acts in a disputable manner, and to make thigns right I need to pay £1,000. DOes not sound right! 

Reply to this Topic
arryace

Apr 10

arryace says:

your choice

you chose to pay the solicitor.

your original description is not clear.

if you wanted to be in lane three but used lane 2 to jump the Q whilst the traffic has to wait at a red light in lane 3 then you deserve to be punished as that is not filtering it is Q jumping

Reply to this Topic
brmoore

Jul 10

brmoore says:

ab

in reply to pporfirio i'd say you should make them pay that..if they're found wrong demand they pay your legal costs its taken to prove you were right you shouldn't pay if you're right and following law...your only in there arguing because of them

to the op, you could not merge...and had to merge, you can wait as long as it takes for a gap to open up, unless it was clearly marked you should've turned into that lane earlier than its not your problem, if it was marked to turn there earlier, im not sure where you stand legally...but in future in those situations i just pass my turn and find somewhere to turn around rather than hold up all of the traffic :hmmm:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle