You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > uk-switzerland

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

grandutero

May 11

grandutero says:

uk-switzerland

I am about to start planning a motorcycle trip to Switzerland. Im thinking of going through France, germany on the way back. I'm on a moto guzzi V7 cafe so luggage will be just a rucksack. Any tips? shall i leave to chance where I stay or should i book places before I leave?

I have never done a bike trip before so any advice would be greatly appreciated!:wacko:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (19 June 2012 13:53)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
slidersdown

Mar 07

slidersdown says:

trip

i prefer not to book ahead so i can be more flexible if i see somewhere i want to stop then you are free to.also if anything unexpected happens on route then you dont have to worry to be at a certain place you already paid for.i have never had a problem finding a room for the night.have fun and a safe trip.

Reply to this Topic
Budda1

Jul 09

Budda1 says:

Trips

Hi

I have never done Switzaland but would suggest you treat your self to a tail pack & tank bag as wearing a back pack over a long periods can be very tiring :wacko:. My self I prefer hot to book  Just start looking fo somewhere to hang your boots about 3.3pm ish the Hostals are verry good in france so it might be worth setting up a rough rout and looking at whats avalable if you work on an avridge distance of 50miles per hour traveled this will  be a good measure of what you will travel.

Enjoy

Reply to this Topic
Dunkblade

Aug 09

Dunkblade says:

Swiss Trip

Hi, book or not to book? That is the big question. Just come back from a trip to Monza, we went through Holland, Germany and Switzerland then into Italy. Came back up through France and Belgium. We pre booked all hotels so we knew where we were heading each day, but as the others have said, it's a personal choice. One tip for you, buy your motorway pass for Switzerland before you go (you need one to use the motorways there), it's cheaper online than buying once you are there.

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

I'm with Budda1

...on the backpack scenario.  Not only will it start tugging on your shoulders after as little as an hour it will also cause extra weight on your bum which means your ass will go dead in lightning time too!

Reply to this Topic
happylemon666

Mar 10

luggage

I agree with the poster suggesting tailpack and tankbag.  At the very least you could strap your rucksack down on your pillion seat.  Tankbags aer invaluble on these trips I find - everything you need to hand, plus map in the top.

On a personal level, I usually pre book, but spend longer out on the road in general.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle