Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/You answer: What's the best project bike? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/You answer: What's the best project bike?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/You answer: What's the best project bike?

My 11-year-old son wants to buy a bike to ‘do up’ as a project for us to tackle together. It’s not a project to make money but to encourage his interest and enthusiasm. I’m a reasonable home mechanic but I'm not sure what bike to start us off. What's your advice? Your advice could help. Leave a comment below and we'll publish...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (19 June 2012 17:31)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
wesley01

Feb 10

wesley01 says:

Yamaha DT 125cc, fantastic little bike and dead easy to ride, plus can use it anywhere. That first bike taught me so much when I was 16 and re doing the engine was super easy again with the help of my dad.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Just coz of the memories

It's gotta be a FS1E :-)

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Van Veen OCR1000 WANKEL

Reply to this Topic
barnowl95

Jun 12

barnowl95 says:

Me and my Dad have done up a Yamaha RD200 and a Kawasaki K200 Both look great and we haven't had to spend much on either as part are easy to find and they are a great bike when done up , good luck

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Project for 11 year old

I'd suggest a Honda MT5 would be a good option. Not overly technical, possible for the youngster to believe they could ride it, not overly expensive to buy and there's a few of them around. 

Reply to this Topic
zx12rbadassisnowzx6rbadass

Sep 11

kawasaki

ke 175 i did one aged 14 but not with my dad cuz he was in jail.................boooo hooooohooooohooooo.....boooo hooo daddy come back boooo hoooo hoooo lol:lol:

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Firstly it depends what he wants to do with it. I'm guessing at 11 it will be riding off road, so that means you're looking for a dirt bike. Secondly you want to think about not only the purchase price, but also the availability and price of spares. Road bikes tend to be more expensive used than proper dirt bikes. I don't want to upset MCN but take a look at t'ebay and you'll see plenty of smallish crossers going much cheaper than small road legal trail bikes and they have the advantage of being better off road. With that in mind I'd go for something like a YZ80. Bear in mind, however, that bikes like this can be a bit of a handful for a complete novice. Not to worry though, limiting the throttle slide travel at first will sort that out.

Reply to this Topic
domtrails

Jun 12

domtrails says:

An SR 250 cheap to buy cheap to convert and easy to work on - its got the umpf for a kid and easy to work on. You can convert them  to scramblers cheap as chips and they look cool when done + its a bit different.

Reply to this Topic
bird1050

Nov 07

bird1050 says:

basics

Simple go for a small capcity single four stroke as two stroke's are becomiong obsolete. And the genuine parts are getting harder to come by ,

They are cheap and easy to work on,

Get a work shop manual for said bike of your choice, and a digital camera as not everything in the manual is covered by photos.

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Size

If he's 11 years old then something he'll be able to ride now.

This probably means a small off roader.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices