Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/You answer: What's the best project bike? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/You answer: What's the best project bike?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/You answer: What's the best project bike?

My 11-year-old son wants to buy a bike to ‘do up’ as a project for us to tackle together. It’s not a project to make money but to encourage his interest and enthusiasm. I’m a reasonable home mechanic but I'm not sure what bike to start us off. What's your advice? Your advice could help. Leave a comment below and we'll publish...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (19 June 2012 17:31)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
H2pots

Jan 09

H2pots says:

father and son project

Get a trial bike, great fun to ride and learn on. Go for either a Yamaha TY80 or TY125 depending on son's height. Parts are easy to buy (brand new or secondhand). Plenty available and easy to sell on when time comes.

Reply to this Topic
Abstract rude

Aug 08

Honda C90 Cub

THEY ARE EVERYWHERE (literally the worlds most popular motorcycle)

Parts are cheap as (I work for a bike shop and a chain and sprocket kit costs about 25-30 quid)

They're semi automatic (Good Starting point as a first bike)

work well in the third world (so wherever you think you can throw at this bike, you can't)

very basic and very easy to maintain and rebuild.

and as a bonus, real men ride in fields with road tyres.

Reply to this Topic
NotAnExpert

Jun 12

NotAnExpert says:

Regardles of which bike you go for I would recommend that you go online before buying anything and look at things like eBay and see what parts are avialable for it and if they are ten a penny or more costly. The last thing you want to do is let him get bored waiting for parts to arrive. Or for him to get frustrated because you cant find a part

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Bird1050

At my local motocross course you'll find many of the young riders are still hammering about on two strokes. They do so because they are cheaper to buy, still outperform four strokes of similar and larger capacities are lighter and hence easier to handle and have good and cheap parts availability. In short they are more fun. 

For example there's no problem getting cheap spares for something like an eighties CR125 with it's punchy 31bhp engine. However the much newer CRF150  can't be had cheaply, used spares are rare and the engine only delivers 24bhp.

If you're looking at competition then four strokes have an advantage in certain classes, indeed some classes only allow four strokes. However there is still plenty of racing where two strokes have the upper hand or are the only  bikes allowed. If you're not considering competition then what you're looking at is the most fun per pound spent. And a two stroke is easilly going to win out on that basis.

Somebody else mentioned the likes of the TY125 (although I'd go for the more plentiful 175) and there are no problem getting spares for those and they are ancient.

Reply to this Topic
ducatigav

Feb 10

ducatigav says:

a ktm 125 exc or somthing like that so you can do it up and once finsh learn him how to ride

Reply to this Topic
MyFirstSuzuki

Apr 12

Project bike

As it's your first project, keep it simple. KX80 or KX100 would be ideal. Parts are cheap & readily available. No expensive lamps or fiddly electrical bits to be repaired or replaced. If you go for something like a FS1E it could become a money pit very quickly.

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Whatever...

Whatever you can get at a good price in a reasonable condition and is attractive. In an ideal world it wouldn't be too rare so second hand spares are available ...

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices