Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: What would stop you breaking speed limits? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: What would stop you breaking speed limits?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: What would stop you breaking speed limits?

New government proposals recommend increasing fixed penalties for speeding from £60 to £90. Will this reduce the frequency you break the speed limit? And if not, what would? Don't forget to add your comment below. pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (19 June 2012 17:56)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Speed / speeding

is in essence if you remove the "legal bit" common sense, doing 40 mph in a 20 mph zone is insane, 150+ mph on a clear motorway at 5am on a summers morning is not so.

I'll always speed when I feei it's safe to do so, the higher the penalty the more i'll be looking for entrapment and less on whats important.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

law

Motorcyclists, by the very nature of what they do have to have much higher proficiency on the road than average in order to not die. Speed limits are aimed at the lowest common denominator - i.e. people who are not informed or capable enough to make a decision themselves on the safest speed. Therefore I have two answers to this: evidence of greater riding ability such as advanced training should mean for you there are no speed limits although you can still be prosecuted for taking the piss - i.e. if you're doing 50 in a 30 with lots of side roads and parked cars then you're taking the piss. To stop me speeding you'd need to do the following: a) remove the slow people who force me to overtake to make progress b) remove the invented fallacy that is time so I'm never late c) put a cop on every corner so I'm convinced that speeding is a bad idea BUT... you'd not need to once you've rid yourself of time as speed would not be able to exist.

Reply to this Topic
tackyaccy

Dec 07

tackyaccy says:

I Think

Statutes are the scurge of the earth,a money making racket for the people we put in power that are supposed to represent us.... the workers.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Aye

tackyaccy :unsure::smile

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Thats done it...

this subject makes my blood boil to be honest.... If the government was truely interested in road saftey then they would concentrate on bad drivers, drivers using phones and inept drivers of limited levels of skill, awareness and poor eyesight. I would be amazed if speeding came above any thing else in the table of causes of accidents . Everybody breaks speed limits. Bikers are so much more focussed on other road users and staying alive. It really is a different set of laws for us.

Reply to this Topic
draper12807

Feb 11

draper12807 says:

Me doing 120 in the third lane is nowhere near as dangerous as the twat sat in the middle lane for no reason what so ever. I do some riding 4/5 in the morning and the motorways are completely empty and they are still sat in the middle lane. Them cunts also sit at 60 and then pull into the third lane at 60 and then speed up, which in my eyes is the worst thing you can do on the motorway. I will always speed no matter what because on a bike it is safer to be coming up on dickheads than them coming up on you as you can judge their actions. Raise fines, increase police but you can't get rid idiot-icy

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

raise the speed limits

that would do it, any more speed bumps and im just going to get a dirt bike and make a sport out of them

Reply to this Topic
pippawilky

Nov 10

pippawilky says:

in portugal they have traffic lights in the 30s and 40s if you go above 30 or 40 the lights change to red for two min if you run the light your nicked seems fair to me i wonder why we have not got them no revenue in that thats why

Reply to this Topic
RichieRotten

Oct 05

RichieRotten says:

Speed bumps

Can be good fun even on an old ZX9R!!!

Reply to this Topic
RichieRotten

Oct 05

RichieRotten says:

What works for me to Slow me Down

A slower bike would slow me down but the best thing is snow and ice. In truth what does work with me are those signs that come on telling you that you are over the speed limit. They are usally in sensable places and they do have an affect on me, really because I feel like I am being asked politly to slow down - so guess what I do.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle