Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: What would stop you breaking speed limits? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: What would stop you breaking speed limits?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: What would stop you breaking speed limits?

New government proposals recommend increasing fixed penalties for speeding from £60 to £90. Will this reduce the frequency you break the speed limit? And if not, what would? Don't forget to add your comment below. pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (19 June 2012 17:56)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mickofield

Sep 09

mickofield says:

Speed

More sensible speed limits would be part of the answer. Many speed limits are too low for today's vehicle technology. A lot of the cameras etc. are merely revenue generators with little to do with safety. Generally though, the type of "independent" mind that rides a bike is not going to stick to speed limits!

Reply to this Topic
zx12rbadassisnowzx6rbadass

Sep 11

hmm

flat tyres:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: but as said before say for example im in middle lane doing 90 maybe but then a merc sprinter goes past me at a rate that is mental but these fellas are ok i reckon i could stop much better than a 2 ton hihtop van couldnt i??

Reply to this Topic
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

I changed bike for a bike that is more fun at "legal" speeds. Inline-4s just arent that fun when ridden in a reasonable fashion...the minute the roads open you just want to rev it to the redline all the time. Now I have a 1700c twin that can still get me tickets, but it makes me smile even when I'm riding at somewhat legal speeds. With a redline at 5500rpm, it just completely changes the way you ride :)

Reply to this Topic
hastyhughie

Aug 09

hastyhughie says:

what it takes

In British Columbia it takes check out You Tube and enter  search words " speeding motorcyclists, police chopper etc" you'll find out that caught here at 40kph ( 25mph)  over the posted limit is an instant 7 day confiscation of your vehicle and fines starting at $1000 CDN. And it just goes up from there; they have auctioned off confiscated lambos etc. Things here are moving slower for sure! Really a bad publicity thing since BC has hundreds and hundreds of twisting roads with great scenery and little disruption. Check out just the local Vancouver ride which starts in the burbs and winds north for 300+ Kms and beyond. You tube BC Highway 99 Sea to Sky. Be well and keep you eye in the sky..hh 

Reply to this Topic
hastyhughie

Aug 09

hastyhughie says:

what it takes

In British Columbia it takes check out You Tube and enter  search words " speeding motorcyclists, police chopper etc" you'll find out that caught here at 40kph ( 25mph)  over the posted limit is an instant 7 day confiscation of your vehicle and fines starting at $1000 CDN. And it just goes up from there; they have auctioned off confiscated lambos etc. Things here are moving slower for sure! Really a bad publicity thing since BC has hundreds and hundreds of twisting roads with great scenery and little disruption. Check out just the local Vancouver ride which starts in the burbs and winds north for 300+ Kms and beyond. You tube BC Highway 99 Sea to Sky. Be well and keep you eye in the sky..hh 

Reply to this Topic
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

More realistic limits - where it's safe

30's etc no issue, but on clear motorways why not raise the limit?. They seem to love these lower adaptable limits (with cameras) so let's go the other way and increase limits where it is safe to do so.

First car I had (30 years ago, would be lucky to hit 70) and wasn't that good at stopping, car now (Audi TT) can sit at whatever speed I fancy all day (assuming safe to do so and legal) and stops even faster.  

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Fly by night

Sep 07

Fly by night says:

Removing cars from the road

One of the reasons why bikers speed is because if they drive with the cars they often get rear ended, the safest speed for a bike is away from the cars that way they don't get rear ended.

I have been rear ended several times purely because the cars don't keep a safe distance from the rear end of my bike.

It's not only cars though I got shunted accross a junction by a lorry once simply because they don't stop giving enough room.

So the safest thing is to stay well away from them ahead of them thus reducing the amount of times they crash into the back of the bike.

Perhaps one thing that might help to reduce bikers speed might to do away with car drivers protected no claims bonus, that way when they keep crashing into the back end of your bike they actually lose something themself.

Reply to this Topic
tris123

Feb 09

tris123 says:

Higher speed limits

Lowering/maintaining speed limits is like saying there has been no progress made in vehicle safety in the last 50 years.  Motoring standards is the problem not speeding.  I've seen 40 mph duel carriageways reduced to 30mph, then the traffic gets worse people get angry, impatient and accidents occur.
On my commute into work 90% of the cars have got one person in them and the traffic is so bad I don't even get to do the speed limit most of the time.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

A little less hypocrisy might help

MPs are forever getting done for speeding.  Coppers treat speed limits with contempt; I've heard them referring to NSL as GLF signs - Go Like Fuck. And I've followed many coppers and (nobody laugh) "Safety Camera" vehicles doing well in excess of the posted limit, where it appeared to them (and me) that it was safe to do so.

Even insurers hardly bother weighting for speed convictions, and I believe it's now commonly accepted that most - not all, most - speeding enforcement is about revenue raising rather than road safety.

So, knock off the revenue based enforcement, target actual accident zones, match limits to the speeds that reasonable drivers do anyway, and stow the lectures, we're just not interested.  That about cover it?

Reply to this Topic
colinS2R

Mar 06

colinS2R says:

be nice to get the chance to speed in the congested south

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle