Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: What would stop you breaking speed limits? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: What would stop you breaking speed limits?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: What would stop you breaking speed limits?

New government proposals recommend increasing fixed penalties for speeding from £60 to £90. Will this reduce the frequency you break the speed limit? And if not, what would? Don't forget to add your comment below. pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (19 June 2012 17:56)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
weasel64

Mar 07

weasel64 says:

voted ' other ' , then added DEATH as my reason , & hey im serious , i'll speed ( like fook ) when conditions allow & NEVER in residential areas , as for an open road when conditions dictate ,' wide open till ya see god then brake ' is my motto , as for the " law " , fooking wow , just aint bothered about it .

Reply to this Topic
bluebirdxxx

Mar 09

bluebirdxxx says:

Increasing the spead limit to 150mph

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Age brings wisdom

I just don't feel the need for speed like I used to.

Maybe surviving as many crashes as I have has taught me lessons that other bikers I knew didn't survive to learn.

I sincerely hope that all the people here who believe it's safe to speed on public roads survive long enough to learn that they are just plain wrong.

Reply to this Topic
Abstract rude

Aug 08

Common sense

Speeding in anything with a red ring around the sign is idiotic.

National speed limits are fair game, as long as the rider can show restraint were it's needed.

Reply to this Topic
FellRaven

Apr 10

FellRaven says:

Many Speed Limits are wrong

In Devon there has been a fad for extending 30 limits further and further from the built up areas. Limits on Dual carriage ways have been reduced and fencing erected on the approach to roundabouts to block sight lines. As long as speed limits are in the wrong place people will not respect them. I'm not talking about doing 50 through villages I'm talking about long straights with no junction or housing being restricted to 30 or 40 because they don't trust people to slow for the built up area.

Reply to this Topic
FellRaven

Apr 10

FellRaven says:

Buses

Don't laugh has anyone tried following a bus in town they never keep to the speed limit and think how many people they would kill.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Depends on circumstance

The question is very leading. Not all speed limits can be justified although I would never advocate speeding in built up areas. Outside of towns/ villages/ cities were road conditions and weather allow then notionally exceeding a speed limit may not be dangerous to anybody. Some people take the proverbial and maxing out a litre sportsbike on public roads is hard to justify but exceeding a speed limit from time to time can be done in complete safety for the individual, those around them and the local area.

Reply to this Topic
Bikefar

May 08

Bikefar says:

Speeders - to make money

During the last Government, the authorities changed the rules for what street must have what speed limit so I see signs "New 30 m.p.h. speed limit" all over the place. Many of my non-motorcycling freinds have been nicked and me, keeping to the new speed limits frequently have a car stuck right up my tail because the limit is too low.

Yeah, sure, some speedlimits were too high then, but it must be said, they got the assessment wrong.

Reply to this Topic
hufggfg

Jun 12

hufggfg says:

Speed awareness courses

Interesting to see the opinions on speed awareness courses here. I have done one, and although, yes, I found parts of it shocking, what it really drove home for me is that speeding is not in itself dangerous, driving badly and not paying attention is dangerous. Sure, additional speed could make an accident worse, but of all the examples they went through, none of them were actually caused by speed, they were mostly caused by drivers not paying attention or being distracted. I actually left the course more confident that my fast, but focused driving was by far the safest thing to do.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

hufqqfq

There is something in that..... "Fast and Focussed" is better than "Slow and Sleepy"...."Fast and Foolish" is another story.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices