Skip to content

Discuss This Video: Fastest recorded motorcycle lap of the Nurburgring General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Video: Fastest recorded motorcycle lap of the Nurburgring

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: Fastest recorded motorcycle lap of the Nurburgring

Part-time hotel worker Andy Carlile recently set the fastest ever recorded bike lap of the fearsome German circuit on his standard-engined Yamaha R1 - by accident.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (20 June 2012 09:25)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
wesley01

Feb 10

wesley01 says:

The rider knows his stuff but why didnt they have a readable speedo and not a pc game version put on over it. How can one know its genuine? Bit suspect.

Reply to this Topic
GIXXER750rich

Jun 12

Top Bloke

My mate and I travelled to the Brno GP 2 years ago and called in to the Nurburgring for a lap on the journey home. I promptly crashed and made a complete mess of my bike. Word got back to the car park and this guy came out to the recovery garage, managed to get the bike started by shorting the starter motor and sorted a room out at the hotel he worked at. While staying at the hotel that night, he took my bike in the garage and proceeded to replace the footpegs and broken levers, and straightened and stitched up the bodywork with tie wraps. This all meant I could jump back on my bike the following day and get back to England with my tail between my legs saving me great expense in recovery from Germany. I certainly owe him one for getting me out of the sh*t! Top bloke.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

MCN journalism at its best

So, the bloke moves out there specifically to ride it, spends years practicing and tweaking his bike, finally achieves his goal, and MCN dismisses it as an "accident".

Did he get any "spy shots" of BMWs new bikes while he was doing the lap?

Reply to this Topic
AndyDownes

Aug 02

AndyDownes says:

Facts...get them straight!

For those who have taken a negative slant on this short story posted here it might be worth bearing in mind why we said it was 'by accident' which is for the simple reason that we interviewed Andy Carlile and that is his description of the unoffficial lap record. We didn't 'dimiss' anything as some have said.

This is a video which is linked to a two-page feature in the paper this week (June 20 issue) where Andy Carlile talks in great depth about how there was absolutely no intention of setting any kind of lap time at this attempt; it was merely a convergence of lucky circumstances that May evening.

Perhaps those of you on here who are moaning about MCN journalism need to go and have a read of that before making ill-informed and incorrect comments.

Hope this helps

Andy Downes

MCN Senior Reporter

Reply to this Topic
RageRider

Jan 11

RageRider says:

Immense!

That was super comitted and there's even a few seconds to be gained without traffic etc.

Personally I couldn't care less about the speedo, if it's a record or whether it was intentional or not. 

It's an interesting story and a stunning ride regardless. Credit where credit is due

Why is everyone so fucking miserable and so keen to piss on anything that might be remotely good that someone else has achieved?

That was death or glory all the way and I doubt there's ANYONE on this forum that could do any if at all better.

Reply to this Topic
rockabillyboy

Sep 10

I find no reason to say the guy did not break the record , but can understand the negative comments . The video is very poor quality and jumpy and does not look in "real" time -  the action does not  match the speed indicator . Good lines & positioning , but still seems held-up by other badly positioned vehicles , what could be done without ANY traffic  ? . But since seeing a giddy Clarkson do the circuit in less than 10 minutes in a diesel Jag. , the shine seems to have gone off events since .

Reply to this Topic
devilman

Jun 12

devilman says:

Legend

I've known Andy for the better part of 10 years. He's had the last three lap records set on different bikes. He's the most gentle, quietly spoken unassuming bloke i know but stupidly fast. When we've talked about his records he said that he didn't think you could go much faster than last time and it was more down to track conditions, weather and luck. The 'computer game' speedo is ther cos unless you have the camera far enough back you won't get a good view of track and speedo and it'll get in the way of the lunatic on board. He's done oodles of laps but without a natural talent then track time isn't enough.

Nice one Andy. I'll get you a beer when you're back in the UK

Wingy

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Andy Downes..

Can You tell us why the "how fast have you ridden on the road " question was withdrawn ? just like to know.

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

andy

fukin awesome mate

Reply to this Topic
coliwobble

Jan 05

coliwobble says:

Here Here!

Absolutely awesome. Congratulations.