Skip to content

Discuss This Video: Smart money superbikes First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: Smart money superbikes

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: Smart money superbikes

The 1000cc sports bike class has ripped in two and there are now two distinct camps. In the ‘extreme’ corner there’s the super-powerful, electronically-enhanced superbikes, like the Aprilia RSV4, BMW S1000RR, Ducati Panigale and Kawasaki ZX-10R. Over in the other is the new Fireblade, GSX-R1000 and R1. These much-loved Japanese machines are the old guard and have all been worthy MCN...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (20 June 2012 15:49)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
gordonakelly

May 12

gordonakelly says:

Cramped?

Curious that in a 'real world' superbike test the bike which was classed as cramped (along with the GSXR) in comparison to the others was deemed the best for riding around the road with its traffic, traffic jams and so forth. 1000s for me are far too small these days and the sitting position appears to target a 5ft 6in gymnast. I'd love to see Honda do a 1000cc 130/140bhp version of the new CBR600F - that would be superb.

Reply to this Topic
frugaltail

Feb 12

frugaltail says:

insurance...

seriously, i ride a cbr600rr at 24 with one single vehicle accident in the last 3 years... £1200 fully comp on the RR for an R1 it would set me back £4500 on mcn compare. Real world doesn't start until your 30

Reply to this Topic
RidgeRacerHRC

Mar 12

Fireblade

what can you say? just an utterly incredible bike. And to think it it holds its own with just a few minor updates for 2012. Simply amazing

Reply to this Topic
Cypher6

Jul 11

Cypher6 says:

Cramped?

@GordonaKelly: I'm exactly 5'6, and currently have a 2000 ZX9R (Lowered). Am currently in the market for a new bike, and having test ridden all of these except the Kawasaki. I can safely say I don't find them cramped at all. I, in fact, find the reach to the handlebars a little long and stretched and I can't touch the floor when stationary, except by sliding almost completely off the saddle. I can assure you they are not built for anyone of my height! So then, if they are too small for you, yet too big for me... Who are they built for? Or where can I find some platform soled bike boots? :-(

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

This argument .....

has been raging since the birth of bikes... its called competition.

Reply to this Topic
hartley2005

Jan 06

hartley2005 says:

All round bike

The blade is the best on the track for a superbike but the Z1000SX is a much better all year bike. I have ridden one foe a year and it does just about everything a blade can do but is much more practical for everyday use. I would rather have one than a full blown superbike.

Reply to this Topic
awoo

Aug 02

awoo says:

R1 all the way

Just taken delivery of the latest R1 and it's phenomenal. I am only 5'7" and have no problem and was the same on my old 06 R1. As for insurance shop around big time as I had been with Carole Nash for several years and they wanted best part of 400 pounds and I have 12 years no claims. I managed to get a quote for 230 with H&R All I want now is some decent weather!!!

Reply to this Topic
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

ZX-10R?

I would not put the ZX-10R in the same class as the other three "extreme" bikes just because it has a few electronic tricks included.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

That's

Munchkin helmet hair right there. ;-)

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

I like the new GSXR. no electronics, traction control is in your left hand. I'd upgrade the brake lines that's all.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices