Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Are Triumph right to follow BMW so closely? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Poll: Are Triumph right to follow BMW so closely?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Are Triumph right to follow BMW so closely?

The new Triumph Trophy 1200 will be revealed this Friday evening here on www.motorcyclenews.com, but thanks to spy shots we already have a very good idea what it will look like: a BMW R1200RT crossed with a smidge of Pan European. This follows Triumph's Tiger 800, which looked remarkably like a BMW F800.So do you think Triumph are right to shamelessly...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (20 June 2012 16:22)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

Potential negative buzz

Anything this blatant will surely generate negative buzz for them to a degree, specially since this isn't a cheap copy as it will be priced similar to the BMW, at least in the US.  This bike will also create a positive buzz for BMW.  Meaning the public will think if Triumph is copying BMW, then BMWs must be very good.  I doubt this is Triumph's intention, but they seem to be desperate or short of real talent.  Of course in the past the Japanese were the copy kings and now the Chinese have taken the trophy on that.  

I love and respect how Ducati creates unique designs, as they try to expand their range.  And that's the difference between a company with imagination and drive. 

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Wot No Comments?

BMW are a relatively small organisation and are trying to cover the most bikes with the least engines and designs. They are also very sucessful in the UK. Its not surprising that Triumph are also trying to do the same. Still think they need to get more dealers though...

Reply to this Topic
rgvyan

Feb 08

rgvyan says:

@Shiva

"the difference between a company with imagination and drive". It's also the difference between a company that's gone bust more times in recent history than I care to count and one which has had consistant growth year on year.

Creating similar products in expanding niches? Safe and maybe boring but that's how you make money to allow interesting products like the Rocket 3, Daytona and Speed Triple. Creating bikes to compete in the same environment is always going to yield similar results. To say the Tiger 800 looks like the F800 is as ridiculous as saying the R1 looks remarkably like the Fireblade or GSXR.

Let's all remember what we are comparing- Triumph do not have the resources of BMW, Honda, Yamaha, but we expect them to be on a par R&D and product wise. That says a lot for a little British company producing 50,000 bikes a year if you ask me. Lets all be happy they are expanding the product range and the only option for an adventure bike isn't a BMW.

Reply to this Topic
RoscoPdrivetrain

Nov 11

"BMW are a relatively small organisation" really? this is only about looks, underneath the bikes and their characters will be different. I don't think people buy big trailies or tourers based on looks (if they do then they need to go to spec savers) I think with these types of bike things like the engine and how practical they are will be the main selling points. whilst talking about copying I want to mention the S1000RR. BMW dumped all their unique quirks (boxer engine, telelever forks) and copied the jap 1000's. This didn't make people think that the jap bikes were amazing because BMW copied them did it?

Reply to this Topic
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

I'm sure you'd ask people on the street what brand is that black bike and 98.7% would answer that it's a BMW. What does that mean, that Triumph are crossing the line of just going after a market, they're getting a bit too "inspired" by the competition. They do make nice and reliable bikes, but as it's been mentionned, Ducati have a bit more merit, as when you see one, you know it's a Ducati, no way of confusing it with a jap or british bike. Like the Explorer 1200, they went after the 1200GS, but managed to make it look significantly different. Can't say the same about the TIger 800...and certainly not about this Trophy 1200.

Reply to this Topic
burningbush

Jul 09

burningbush says:

£££££££££££££££££££s

Triumph only exist to make money, it's not a case of are they right or wrong. In the current economic climate it is way to risky to take a risk, Bloor seems to allow other manufactures do the R&D, marketing etc and then jumps on the band wagon. He's worth more than most of us, so who is right?

Reply to this Topic
frugaltail

Feb 12

frugaltail says:

really?

The only problem with a copy cat is people like me will always think that, if BMW make a bike SO GOOD that triumph try to copy it... why not just buy the BM? It would have to be a massive price difference to draw my eye. Secondly, triumph will keep their heads above water with this... but no one got rich imitating?!

Reply to this Topic
crustybiker

Apr 04

crustybiker says:

they have not a single idear

triumph copying bmw so whats new do not think triumph have had a single idear of their own ie bonnie  rocket  tiger all good names from the past that triumph use reckon they do not have the ability to think of something new  so nothing new here

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

What would you prefer?

That they gamble on some mentalist parts-bin design, fail to deliver, and go tits-up yet again like Norton is poised to do?

Triumph is the UK motorcycle industry. They're actually schooling BMW in sales right now, and more power to them, I say.  It's called competition: let's see how Jerry Fritz Hun likes a taste of it for a change.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Copying another company is never a good idea. What you have to realise is that there is only so much market for a particular thing and if you try copy somebody else all you can hope for is to steal part of their customer base at best. You will also lose some of your existing customer base.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices