Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Are Triumph right to follow BMW so closely? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Poll: Are Triumph right to follow BMW so closely?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Are Triumph right to follow BMW so closely?

The new Triumph Trophy 1200 will be revealed this Friday evening here on www.motorcyclenews.com, but thanks to spy shots we already have a very good idea what it will look like: a BMW R1200RT crossed with a smidge of Pan European. This follows Triumph's Tiger 800, which looked remarkably like a BMW F800.So do you think Triumph are right to shamelessly...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (20 June 2012 16:22)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

That's a fair point

BMW aftercare is reportedly rather good, but then again, their recent bikes have given them a lot of opportunity to practice it.

Personally I'd rather just buy a bike with the con rod bolts fitted properly, and that doesn't go through final drives faster than it does tyres, but each to their own.

Reply to this Topic
stu_sp2

Mar 06

stu_sp2 says:

Its the way to do it ..

I work in an industry where all our products and our competitors products are designed with the same job in mind, therefore a good business model is to look at the market leaders, try and produce the equivalent or better their products, then undercut them slightly, we do it, Triumph are doing it and thousands of other industries do it, why would you risk millions of pounds in development and research to turn out a product that the public may not want, BMW's range of bikes have grown massively in popularity over the recent years, pulling in younger and younger buyers, they've got a great business model and they have done the research for Triumph effectively if you look at it from that point of view.Also I think Triumph obviously realise that there are lots of people out there who really like the BM's but don't quite get on with the flat twin motor, the triumph triple is a superb motor and will appeal to many, I for one applaud them, its something to be proud of..

Reply to this Topic
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

No change there then.

Triumph haven't had a fresh idea for 45 years.

They even tried to copy the jap bikes in the early 70s.

It took more than swapping the gear lever to the other side though. lol

Reply to this Topic
ewanhind

Jun 11

ewanhind says:

The motorcycle market isn't all about having great new ideas, it's about doing it best. Triumph may have taken a lot of influence from the 1200GS in the Exploerer, the 800GS in the Tiger 800 and the RT in the Trophy, but if they can offer something of equal or better quality, at an equal or lower price, and with a few USPs (standard fit cruise control, the awesome triple engine, etc) then they should have good sales, and that seems to be borne out in reality. In other areas, Triumph have lead they way - the Street Triple blew all other mid size nakeds out of the water when it was launched, and the other manufacturers have had to jump on Triumph's bandwagon to keep up. To any manufacturer that builds great bikes that make people want to buy them - good luck!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Visordown have....

just shown the pictures of the new Trophy...... its good looking and will sell.

Reply to this Topic
bird1050

Nov 07

bird1050 says:

TRIUMPH

triumph are doing what the japs did , take a product and make it better by giving the customer what they want.

Their after sales service is better and warrenty is great,

I had a speed triple and a few problems happened after the warenty expired ,I phoned triumph hinckley and they sorted it out total cost to me nothing , A new set of clocks and a suspention linkage later , total cost to triumph £1200 plus labour and my loyalty .

Now i own a new tiger as my neck is buggered and cant take the wind blast anymoore.

Reply to this Topic
frugaltail

Feb 12

frugaltail says:

@ stu_sp2

younger and younger riders.... now the adverse bmw rider age has gone down from 75 to 65....... build bikes that younger guys/teens can afford to buy, insure and run and then keep them for life... i SERIOUSLY don't think this bike changes much... take 100 sales from bmw, job done?

Reply to this Topic
ducatigav

Feb 10

ducatigav says:

can we have a superbike copy plz

Reply to this Topic
tris123

Feb 09

tris123 says:

yep, lets have a superbike with a 1100 triple.  The 675 is getting very lonely, it needs a big bro.

Reply to this Topic
sovrec

Sep 11

sovrec says:

Yep - others are copying Triumph...

...Just look at the 675 and the (less capable) replica coming from MV (not least the 675 Brutale) - Sprint/Daytona rip-offs !! - Triumph needs to compete and if it can expand it's UK base by taking BMW head on, well it's fantastic for British Manufacturing and UK exports...good news amongst a shattered economy - anyway after BMW shafted the UK car industry with the Rover debacle..well they should get a taste of their own medicine !

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices