Skip to content

Discuss This Ducati in talks with Cal Crutchlow MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Ducati in talks with Cal Crutchlow

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Ducati in talks with Cal Crutchlow

Ducati is locked in talks with Cal Crutchlow and has offered the British rider a two-year deal to quit Yamaha next season, MCN can reveal. Crutchlow doesn’t have a contract with his Monster Yamaha Tech 3 squad for next season and interest in him has rocketed after a stunning start to 2012. The 26-year-old has scored three front row starts and finished...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (20 June 2012 16:39)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

Ta Benny

So is Nicky definitely off then?

Baz

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

The Gresini RCV Jolly

is a satellite machine with an earlier generation RCV213 chassis to the factory boys, Showa suspension and Nissin brakes (god knows what engine, electronic differences there are).

And if the factory boys were on last years frames they'd be on 800's! Jeez...

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Nicky off?

well he might be. Then the other one might be too. Bring out your dead Ducati.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Zoobaz

Ducati are in a position where both their rider's contracts come to an end this year. As such they have no confirmed riders for next year. So they need signatures on contracts for next year ideally before the summer break, they don't want to be left with Hobson's choice.

What you have to realize is that there is a lot of politics involved in the so called silly season. If Rossi and/or Hayden are being cagey about their plans for next year then Ducati will want to force their hands. They have publicly said they are happy with the talents and achievements of both riders and I see no reason to believe that they are simply being diplomatic. I'm sure they'd be happy to sign both Rossi and Hayden again. However it's not unusual for teams to talk to riders just to force their own riders hands.

And Cal for his own part will no doubt have made overtures to Yamaha regarding that spare seat for next year. He may also have spoken to Repsol Honda and Tech3 about keeping his seat there. Obviously he doesn't as yet have a seat for next year and he'd be an idiot not to try to organize something for next year. If he doesn't strike while the iron's hot he could end up with nothing for next year, or riding for PBM. So talking to Ducati isn't just about getting a ride at Ducati, it's also about letting the Yamaha and the rest know that he isn't just going to sit in his motorhome and wait for them to call. Certainly there is no doubt that Cal's stock is up this year and up even further after Silverstone, but that doesn't mean he's got guarantee of a good ride for next year. There's already one seat at Yamaha taken and one seat at Tech 3 (probably). Assuming Honda get their way with the rookie rule that's another seat gone at Repsol. So appart from Ducatis and based on the current setup that leaves Repsol, Tech 3, Yamaha and Gresini looking for a rider. It also leaves Hayden, Rossi, Bautista,  Spies, Dovi, Pedrosa and Cal currently in search of a ride. Which assumes that there will be no other new riders moving up from Moto2 or maybe even WSBK.

That's not of course to say that Cal isn't interested in riding for Ducati or that Ducati aren't interested in Cal. But these things are not as clear cut as some might think. 

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Nostro

Nostro do you really think that the frame has a capacity? And if in your words the Gresini is on their original chassis then by your own argument they would be on an 800. At least try to be consistent.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Zoobaz

So is Nicky definitely off then?

That would largely depend on whether Rossi stays. Current thinking is that he won't, but I recall that even a couple of weeks before he signed for Ducati plenty of "experts" were saying that he was just using the Ducati negotiations to force Yamaha's hand. They proved to be wrong then and they could be just as wrong now.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Jolly

And if in your words the Gresini is on their original chassis then by your own argument they would be on an 800.

Why the difficulty? Honda tried several frames for the 1000cc bike before Stoner and Pedrosa chose the one they wanted. There has been more than one frame used with the 1000cc bike.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Bultoboy

Cunning editing when you quoted my post there. Nostro's statement was that if the Repsol was on an old frame then it would be an 800. But he stated that the Gresini was on an old frame, when it is clearly a 1000. Those two statements contradict each other.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Moaner

Jun 11

Moaner says:

Jolly Boy

Whoops - you made an error mate... Nostro is actually extremely consistent..... He is always a dick!!!

I can't see Rossi going anywhere,  he will stay at Ducati until he gets a win in the dry at least... Hayden may end up swapping with Cal who knows??

And what is all this "Cal's style will suit the Duke" crud? Everyone (including me) thought Hayden's aggressive "let it all hang out" style would suit the Duke down to the ground but it did'nt really did it?? Cal's style is quite similar so why will it be any different? For one, Cal carries a lot of corner speed, something the Duke hates so how would this work?? I don't think it will be a good marriage myself....  Lets see what Ducati roll out at Laguna as this may change a few things if it works... I have heard they are going down the cross plane crank route ;)

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

Thanks guys

Ta for the info guys - it'll be interesting to see how the season's developments unfold!

funny how the 2 biggest names (Stoner & Lorenzo) have sorted their future before anyone else..

Cheers,

Baz

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices