Skip to content

Discuss This Ducati in talks with Cal Crutchlow MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Ducati in talks with Cal Crutchlow

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Ducati in talks with Cal Crutchlow

Ducati is locked in talks with Cal Crutchlow and has offered the British rider a two-year deal to quit Yamaha next season, MCN can reveal. Crutchlow doesn’t have a contract with his Monster Yamaha Tech 3 squad for next season and interest in him has rocketed after a stunning start to 2012. The 26-year-old has scored three front row starts and finished...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (20 June 2012 16:39)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
RobTZ

Feb 10

RobTZ says:

It is so obvious

Casey Stoner is retiring. Honda need a proven winner. There will only be 3 remaining. Lorenzo (who is contracted to Yamaha) Pedrosa (who is Honda anyway) and Rossi.

He will be out of contract and therefore potentially available to Honda.

However sponsorship money may want him elsewhere.

I would love to see Cal on the Factory M1. He would be a winner I am sure.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Diddums Hardlylean

So poor unwanted Rossi had to drag his sorry arse away from Yamaha as a matter of pride and principle after all he'd done for them. Nothing to do with his conceit, arrogance and 'him or me' ultimatum then?

The Fiat sponsorship thing was pure impeccable timing with the relaunched Uno. You and the sick dog Wosi make it sound like Rossi himself brokered the deal, or worse, like it somehow was Rossi's money all along. Brain dead as always I see.

Reply to this Topic
hugelean

Oct 07

hugelean says:

Aimlessanus- I rest easy in the knowledge that you are one of only a dozen folk worldwide who think Rossi is Shyte and the dukes a championship contender. Of course that doesn't mean your wrong, I've seen a few sci-fi movies where one person tries to convince the world only they know what they are talking about. How's that working out for you??

Reply to this Topic
hugelean

Oct 07

hugelean says:

Nostrils , you are course well informed enough to know that two of the fiat board are close personal friends of Rossi ???, or are you trying to make us think that a team divoid of sponsors just happened to get a huge Italian company to sponsor them just as Rossi joined them. ????? Away and boil your head ya wee man.

Reply to this Topic
nippiman

Jun 12

nippiman says:

He's got to take it, I really think his style would suit it and he's allways likely to be a poor relative with Honda or Yamaha

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Nostro

You need to realise that a satelite spec Honda is a rare beast at the moment. This year there is only one and Bradl is on it. Bautista has the third factory spec bike. Last year Repsol had three factory bikes, it's well known that Simoncelli was contracted for Gresini for 2012 but Honda wanted him on a factory bike so they decided that Repsol would only get two factory bikes for 2012. Of course after Marco's tragic death they were left with a factory bike and no rider. They offered it to Dovi if he signed for LCR, but he chose to go to Tech3 instead. The thing is that there are three factory spec Hondas (albeit one without full factory support) and only one satellite spec bike and it has been alleged that this is the case because there are a limited number of teams who can afford the lease costs for a satellite spec Honda. Remember Gresini only have one prototype this year, and word is that they are only paying for a satellite spec bike even though they have the factory spec machine. 

Honda have expressed an interest in Rossi and I suspect that if Rossi did turn out for Honda it would be on that third factory spec bike, not for Repsol. Remember that's how Rossi started at Honda, on a factory bike but with an independent team. The difference being that back then he had full factory support.

The thing about Rossi is that he has an obvious marketing draw there is little doubt that he could find sufficient sponsorship funding to run his own satellite Yamaha. Indeed given his marketing potential I suspect that with Rossi on a factory Yamaha they would find a proper sponsor again.  Perhaps either would come with an injection of his own cash. Rememer MotoGP is going more and more the way of its four wheeled cousins. You are more likely to get a ride if you can bring your own sponsors or your own cash. I don't doubt that Rossi has more than enough in the bank to pay the lease costs of a satellite Yamaha for a year - whether he'd want to or not is another matter.

Those people who think Rossi will not be on a factory bike next year because of his performances at Ducati are missing the point of racing. It's mostly about advertising. Not just for the manufacturers, but for the sponsors. Ducati are getting much more attention with Rossi than they would if they had some some journeyman pro in his place like another Hayden. The marketing men at the factories and the sponsors are well aware of this and will act accordingly.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Jolly - the Gresini machine's not factory

It's a slung together bitsa. Still on the original chassis.

Any publicity is good publicity eh? I tend to think not. The brain dead out there think the Ducati is at fault and not their fallen Sun God. Yes I realise the need for profile, but at some stage that starts to work against a company. This stage was reached a long time ago with Ducati and Rossi.

Hardlylean. That's the thing with cults, sheep and false idols. A lot of the people are fooled a lot of the time. And my god is there a lot of fools in Oompa Loompa land. Starting with your high Priest DE and working all the way down to you.

Yes of course I've also read Rossi is friends with some of the Angelli family. Fiat are struggling right now in a tight global car market place. Will we see their money again with Rossi do you think? Or were the Fiat M1 years just the good times rolling.....

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Nostro

It's interesting that Honda describe the Gresini bike as factory spec, you must have inside knowledge of HRC that is forbidden to the rest of us. It is, however, no secret that the factory spec frame is the same as last year. Nothing unusual there.

I never mentioned Fiat. I said "a sponsor" I wasn't specific for good reason. An awful lot of companies would be interested in buying into the Rossi brand, not necessarily companies already involved in MotoGP. I don't think Fiat left Yamaha because Rossi left, but nor do I think the lack of an Italian rider in the team had no impact on their decision not to renew the deal. It's obvious that a lot of sponsors in MotoGP are from a, shall we say, Latin background. As such they want at least some of their riders to come from their core markets. Rossi is different, he is much more of a global brand than any other current rider. Indeed I don't think there has been such a globally recognised personality, particularly outside of the sport's core fan base (i.e. motorcyclists) since the days of Sheene.

Yamaha are making no secret of the fact that they need a major sponsor and it would be obtuse for them not to consider that signing Rossi would increase their chances of finding that sponsor for 2013. 

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

Question...

so if Cal gets a Ducati seat and Rossi decides to stay at Ducati, who's seat is Cal getting? is NH definitely leaving Ducati?

Cheers,

Baz

Reply to this Topic
FullStopBenny

Jun 12

Hi Baz ...

... Now we're done with my theraputic opening, i, being the smart arse of the forum, will provide you with an in-depth analysis to your question.......

Yes, he will take Nicky's seat... How smart am i? Too smart.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices