Skip to content

Discuss This Ducati in talks with Cal Crutchlow MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Ducati in talks with Cal Crutchlow

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Ducati in talks with Cal Crutchlow

Ducati is locked in talks with Cal Crutchlow and has offered the British rider a two-year deal to quit Yamaha next season, MCN can reveal. Crutchlow doesn’t have a contract with his Monster Yamaha Tech 3 squad for next season and interest in him has rocketed after a stunning start to 2012. The 26-year-old has scored three front row starts and finished...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (20 June 2012 16:39)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Hayden has done this more than once this season and he knows full well what's going on. The Desmosedici is hard on its tyres. So he puts soft tyres on and stays with the leaders for a handful of laps before the he says the tyres get too hot and he has to back it off a touch. He's tried the excuse of "tyres going off" in the past, but it doesn't wash. He knows the soft tyres won't work at their optimum for more than a few laps at that pace, but he takes the risk of getting near the front at first and then making people pass him later. If it works for him that's fine, but don't blame the tyres the bike cooks the tyres when it tries to run the same pace as the better bikes. As it stood he managed to run two sub 2'03" laps before he started to slow down. It might not even be the tyres, it's just possible that the bike is so damned hard to ride at that pace that he can only keep it up for a couple of laps. And as for a pole time don't kid yourself. Most weekends qualifying times are faster than race times, but not this week. Conditions were better for the race than for qualifying. The ground temperature was higher on race day and the air temperature lower. As such you've got more grip and theoretically at least a little more power. Remember in qualifying Hayden himself was over a second slower than his fastest race lap. That the bike is hard on its tyres is evident from its performances in the wet where it can get more heat into the tyres than the rest.

Reply to this Topic
YamahaGYTR

Sep 11

YamahaGYTR says:

Firebird there is only one person who has beaten Casey to a win on the Ducati and that was Loris in 2007 the year Stoner won his first MotoGP title.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Jolly

Don't get the point about temperatures differing from qualifying to race day. Two different days and I wasn't comparing times from one to the other. In qualifying, they were all out under the same conditions and Hayden was heading for a pole time, so there is speed in the bike, it's not as though it can't do it.

In the race, whatever the arguments and theories about what the Ducat does to its tyres, which none of us actually know, it has shown on a few occassions that it can run close to the pace of the others, therefore it suggests that there is not something massively wrong with it.

All I'm suggesting is that it may not be as bad as general opinion says it is. Two fairly different views are given by its two riders for a start, so there isn't 100% consistency there. One says it won't turn in, the other seemed to have it turning fine?

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

So it tyres...

... as Wosi says, it comes down to tyres again... Hayden complained that the Ducati shreds them when ridden at a pace that the bike is well capable of as did Stoner on the Honda this weekend... Rossi complained of chatter causing him to nearly lose control & Dani said the tyre was too soft (though made no real race statement I can find)... when both Factory Hondas & both Factory Ducatis are having problems can it still be put down to lack of effort by the manufacturers to solve the problems. Only one half of one factory team seems to get on with their tyres at the moment (whichever compound)... OK, let's change that... only one factory rider didn't complain about their tyres this weekend (though it was still mentioned).

Thankfully the only other rider who really didn't seem to have an issue with tyres despite having to do more passes than anyone else on the track was Cal.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
superbol

Aug 02

superbol says:

A logic done deal

Cal for all his fantastic talent has`nt a hope of a factory ride with Repsol or Factory Yamaha.He doesnt bring big sponsership money end of ! Times are hard financially  Spies and Dovi carry big money backing helping the "works" team no end .So with Smith off to Tec3 hell will freeze over before 2 Brits would be in a semi factory team , so where to for Cal ? Easy a Factory team paying good money for Cals services or back to Worldsupers but on which bike ?Exactly ! Done deal .

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Opinions

Opinins indeed Wosi - all entitled to them and to air them but there's a difference between voicing an opinion and stating something as undisputable fact

I'm well aware of the temperature differences from quali/race. One of the opinions touted previously about the Ducati is that it has trouble turning because it can't generate heat into its front tyre - therefore cooler conditions don't suit it, it needs warmer temperatures to make the tyres work. Yet cooler conditions in qualifying that shouldn't suit it and it seemed to be turning just fine and as well as anything else. Contradiction in opinions there. Same as your opinion that Lorenzo was riding conservatively in the first few laps to conserve his tyres when in actual fact he was fasest rider on track in those first few laps trying to catch up and it didn't hurt his rear tyre.

Opions balmed the CF frame as a flawed design but the new alloy frame is faring no better in the hands of the rider that wanted it. Now it's the engine, not the frame. More contradictory opinions.

My only point was, is the Ducati as bad a bike as it appears with the current riders or could it be made to perform with better results by different riders. Hayden, for whatever reasons, is at times able to match lap times of front running bikes. If the bike was that bad he'd consistently never get near them - like a CRT bike will never get near them. So that is all my opinion is - that the Ducati may not be as bad as it appears. Maybe Crutchlow or someone else could get more out of it.

That makes me a fanboy of someone? You're better than stooping to silly cliches Wosi

Reply to this Topic
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

wise up eh.

So that is all my opinion is - that the Ducati may not be as bad as it appears. Maybe Crutchlow or someone else could get more out of it.

Yes Bulto maybe they could but more probably he or anyone else could not.
The bike has serious issues which nobody so far have been able to solve including your hero Stoner.
Do you think if Ducati thought another rider could do better they would be wanting to stick with the two riders they have got?
Apparently Pedrosa's style would suit the Ducati far better than Crutchlow's.
Anyway next season we will probably find out how another rider adapts to the bike.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Heaven Forbid

you question the riding talent (or lack thereof) Bulto over the D16. Everyone knows it's the bike, the bike, not the deadwood riding stock Ducati currently employ.

What's Ducati's Rate of Return on their €30m wage package to Rossi over these past two years? One wet podium and one jammy inherited one. Millions of development expenditure (much of which catered to the whims of their 'lead' rider) only for his results to deteriorate over this period. Diabolical. And these half wits put the boot into Spies. Rossi's sequel to 'What if I never tried?' 'How to take a winning motorcycle to the back of the field in one fell swoop'

Get Redding and Espargaro on the thing - at least for a two day trial, if not Cal. We true Ducatisti want to see Preziosi's wonderful creations properly justified. Poor old Dazed and Confused have no idea what they're doing on track right now.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Wosi

I may have yellow in my multi-coloured panties but the origin of that particular colour is none of your business...

I agree with most of what you put in your  previous comments and I don't actually 'blame' Rossi for Ducati's situation. Designers build the bikes, which is what I've always maintained. I only ever disputed the claim that he turned bad bikes into good ones. The last 2 years give me just cause to that view. Not liking his personaility is another matter altogether. They all have their traits. 

Cut the electonics, that would force them to cut the power and rely more on mechanical grip and rider input which may suit a control tyre better than is happening now. But that is a different subject.

Buel - if Ducati are happy with their current two riders, why, if what is reported is correct, have they offered Crutchlow a 2 year contract? They are obviously not happy with at least one of them, or they expect one not to re-sign. Or they are going to field 3 factory bikes given there will be no satellite Ducati teams next year.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Theory Wosi?

I've been giving my theory for the last year. Get rid of the riding dead wood and let Corse blossom once more.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices