Skip to content

Discuss This Honda to roll out production MotoGP racer in 2014 MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Honda to roll out production MotoGP racer in 2014

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Honda to roll out production MotoGP racer in 2014

Honda will sell a production version of its current 1000cc prototype RC213V machine for the 2014 MotoGP world championship. The bike is currently under development in Japan and MCN understands it will be sold to non-factory teams for a maximum of 1m Euros (£800,000). The new machine isn't expected to run to current CRT regulations and therefore will be subject to current...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (21 June 2012 15:46)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Richard1967

Apr 09

Richard1967 says:

Jonathon Rea

Kind of the forgotten man to MotoGP . He's been in WSBK so long now , it'd be too big a change of riding style I think . Its a shame because he has skill and bravery in buckets . If Rea has anything to do with developing a customer GP bike I'd be surprised ,he has no official link with HRC , He rides a private Honda in wsbk .

Reply to this Topic
YamahaGYTR

Sep 11

YamahaGYTR says:

I thought Johnny Rea was on the works Honda in WSBK if I remember correctly.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Thejudge

Why would Honda need a development rider for these machines? The development is what Stoner and Pedrosa are doing right now. It's the way things used to be done back in the day. For example the production RG500s (no not the road bikes) that you could buy off the shelf from somewhere like Padgett's were essentially production versions of earlier factory bikes. The innovations made by the factory team would turn up of the production version a year or two down the line. They never had development riders for the production bikes back then.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

CRT?

I can see that financially this sort of deal would make more sense to a team than leasing especially at the price Honda are charging for satellite teams - allegedly something of the order of 3 million euro a year.

Unlike satellite teams teams running these bikes would have something left to show for their investment at the end of the season. Which would you rather? Give everything back at the end of the year or keep it all and run it for another year? Especially when you consider that Honda will no doubt be willing to sell new parts to the teams running these bikes. They won't be completely obsolete come year end.

What I don't understand is why Honda haven't chosen to do an ART and build the bike to meet CRT regulations. These bikes are presumably going to be slower than the satellite bikes (even if lease prices are capped) so we'll end up with a three tier championship. Prototypes, production bikes then CRT. I doubt Honda are going to sell something capable of keeping up with the factory machines at less than a third of the current lease costs. So why not build it to suit CRT regs? It might involve knocking a quid off here and there (mainly in the engine) but it would save Honda the potential embarrassment of having these bikes beaten by CRT bikes, which could happen given a couple more years of CRT development and the fact that Honda won't be able to control who rides these bikes.

I've said before that I don't think Aprilia are playing the CRT game in the intended spirit of the class, but if Aprilia can do it why not Honda? Or any other MSMA member for that matter. It might give us a way of getting Suzuki and Kawasaki back into the game.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
TetsuoSama

Sep 11

TetsuoSama says:

LOL

BennyHedgehog makes a "TragicTetsu" post under his account and then deletes it a few minutes later?  What are we to make of that?

Hahahahaha.  Cool, Benny.

Dumbarse.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

YamahaGYTR

You are correct. The Ten Kate Castrol team is the official factory team in WSBK just like Repsol are the official factory team in MotoGP.

Reply to this Topic
Zoggthefantastic

Sep 11

jolly

I got the sense that this would be instead of satellite bikes. As you you say, why would you lease for millions when you can buy for peanuts. It looks like this is Honda's preferred route to CRT racing. Production prototype racing. Hopefully Yamaha can follow suit. But it still doesn't do what CRT does which is get more manufacturers involved.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Zogg

I'm not sure getting more manufacturers on the grid is the ultimate goal of CRT. I think that have more constructors is just the means of getting fuller grids. If Honda, Yamaha, Aprilia or anybody else can sell bikes cheap enough to get 25 or 30 bikes on the grid then I'm sure Dorna and the FIM will be happy.

Reply to this Topic
thejudge

Sep 09

thejudge says:

jolly ,im havin trouble with the detail,or the math lol, you can lease one now for 3 million and have to give it back at seasons end. then they are goin to sell you one for 1 million ,and you can keep it? dont add up,thats why i was thinkin it must be a different spec one, way better than crt,but much less than factory spec, with expensive upgrades 

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

thejudge

You are mostly right there. The satellite bikes are nearer to works bikes than the production bikes will be, but there is another difference. The way I've read it the lease agreement gets you new parts from the factory as they become available. The production deal is an outright purchase so you don't. If you want any new parts from the factory you'll have to buy them. If, of course, Honda will sell them to you.

The fact is, however, that I don't see that this partial factory support in the way of parts would be worth over two million euro a year. Particularly when offset by the fact that you get to keep the bike at the end of the year.

The only thing I wasn't quite clear on was whether the 800,000 buys you a just a bike or if it buys you the complete package including the six engines. If it's just one bike then the actual annual outlay will be much higher than the projected 800,000 euro. After all a rider needs two bikes so that doubles the outlay and then there's the cost of the additional four engines, who knows what that will be? I'd bet it would take the outlay to north of 2 million euros.

Being the cynic that I am I now find myself wondering if this is Honda's way of circumventing the projected lease cap variously quoted at 1 million or 1.2 million euro. After all the lease bikes can't be good for a hell of a lot at the end of the season so Honda wouldn't be losing much by not getting the bikes back. They would, however, be getting considerably more than a million euro for an up to date package. As an income plan going forward however it does rely on next years bike being good enough and different enough to convince the teams to shell out for a whole new package for next year.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices