Skip to content

Ask an Expert 2007 CBR 1000 gear selection issue Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > 2007 CBR 1000 gear selection issue

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

mccahillryan

Jun 12

mccahillryan says:

2007 CBR 1000 gear selection issue

Hey there Fellow mechanics! ,

Ok! So I own a 2007 CBR 1000rr, I purchased the bike a few months ago with 7600 miles on it, and the ODO now reads roughly 8200. In the last couple hundred miles, i've noticed a few mild issues. First and foremost, shifting from first-into second, and back down into first from second, occasionally the bike makes some odd noises, paired with some clicking and popping and feedback through the foot shifter. I ran it past a "Honda dealership" and had them do a full inspection and ride, and the technitian seemed to think that all the bike needed was a new clutch. However, in the maintenece manual, the troubleshooting procedures seem to suggest that this is most likely less of an issue with the clutch, and most likely more of an issue with one of the shifting forks, the oil weight being improper, or one of the major components of the transmission being worn beyond limits. 

My other issue is with the handling of the bike. When cornering, applying proper smooth braking with good tire pressure and smooth throttle control. I feel as though I have to wrestle the bike into the corner, and hold it very forcefully in place with counter steer. This is VERY taxing on the rider, and of any sport bike I have ever ridden, this is the absolute hardest to get into a corner. When I sit upright on the bike, and remove my hands from the controls, the bike heads in a straight line, but eventually get's some pretty nasty wobbling going. This issue seems to not be affected by the speed.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (21 June 2012 16:17)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

cbr1000

Welcome mac,new clutch at 8200m bollocks unless the previous owner was a stunt rider.i would get some fresh proper bike oil in it (silkolene 10/40 semi/synthetic) and the last time i wrestled a bike was tyres under pressure.

Q, what`s the tick over speed and tyre pressures your using assuming your 12 stone in weight?

Reply to this Topic
mccahillryan

Jun 12

mccahillryan says:

Speed*

I'm suggesting that the wobble happens at low, medium, and semi fast speed's. Also, I already purchased a new stage 3 EBC rebuild kit for the clutch a month or two ago, so I think i'm just going to throw that in for shit's a giggles. I tend to ride my clutch un-necessarily, and have always worn them out quick, so the gear issues, combined with the worn clutch tell me that the guy that owned it before me probably fancied himself a daredevil. The oil viscosity is perfect, no air in the clutch lines or the hydraulic assist. The weight of the oil is factory perfect. The only thing I can think of besides a LOT of damage to critical transmission components, is a loose shifting pedal connection.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Unhappy RR

I hope not, but from your description I'd go along with possible concerns about selector forks.  Still, you're checking external linkages and doing the clutch, so you may rule it out.  Is the cush drive good, and chain slack spot on?

Have you checked sag front and rear?  I like my bike a little low at the front so I find I'm holding it out unless I shift my body weight in, feels natural for a sports bike, the opposite must be really off-putting.  From memory out of the crate that model is completely neutral with 12-13 stone aboard.  Wondering if yours had a lightweight owner before and/or is sagging at the rear - that could also increase self-steer and could possibly, especially if the rear tyre's squared, promote the wobbles - are they at low speed where the steering damper is disabled?

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

cbr1000

EEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRR,you no answer question,

also riding your clutch tells me your fuelling up to 3,000rpm needs sorting.

Your wobbling could be a back end issue.

Reply to this Topic
steven.hood7

Jan 08

steven.hood7 says:

07 CBR1000 gear selection issue.

mccahillryan, I had an RR6 Fireblade for little under a year and had issues with the hydraulic clutch feeling squidgy as soon as the fluid dis-coloured. This then changed the feel of the gearchange and i could sense it was grating as the gears meshed. Not an alarming smack or crunch into the next gear but not as slick as a cable clutch on my 2 previous blades. The mileage on your bike would suggest it may have hit the road on the left-hand side at some point and the gearlever has dug-in and rattled through the box bending a selector fork. Good news is that the gearbox and selector mechanism on the RR4-RR7 is a cassette system and can be removed from the side of the engine without taking it out of the frame.

Handling issues. My RR6 handled great with minimal input[countersteering] So you need to have the frame/swinging-arm/forks/yokes checked for alignment.I feel both issues are connected. But as usual, check wheel alignment and change clutch seals/fluid first. Good luck with sorting the bike out and remember to update the forum with anything you find. Steve.  

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices