Skip to content

Discuss This Ducati plan more tests on aluminium swingarm MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Ducati plan more tests on aluminium swingarm

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Ducati plan more tests on aluminium swingarm

Ducati’s aluminium swingarm project hasn’t been axed and Valentino Rossi could evaluate it again during a one-day test immediately after his home race at Mugello next month. Rossi liked the new aluminium swingarm when he tested it at Mugello recently, the 33-year-old gaining extra feeling on corner entry with his factory GP12 machine. Team-mate Nicky Hayden was less enthusiastic though after the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (22 June 2012 17:49)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
YamahaGYTR

Sep 11

YamahaGYTR says:

Private tests will help Ducati they need testing time in order to stay competitive.

Reply to this Topic
Bootlegger

Aug 11

Bootlegger says:

Full circle

Preziosi had it right in the first place. Now the bloke has to develope it back to the winning CF configuration from swingarm to table top front end. Bridgestone with Rossi advisory screwed the best laid plans.

Preziosi must be pretty sick and tired of this extreme wealth of useless feedback.

HRC might enjoy Preziosi's input re CF and its huge potential,like they harvested Suppo's dogsense as to what constitutes a winning team. HRC snatched Yamaha electronic gurus some time back,right.

'We try it on the Monday after Mugello'. The general idea is for Rossi to win a dry race in Mugello,so I thought.

Hell ! Would that Stoner had such succour back then !

Reply to this Topic
Bootlegger

Aug 11

Bootlegger says:

Public tests I suggest

Ducati need to test head to head against Yam and HRC  as opportunity avails itself. This Private Mugello/Indy resurfaced test crap has got them nowhere. Neither has sheltering their current crop of riders from the brutal truth of lap/race/ elapsed time capability helped them one bit.

Clearly I'm spewing from a Ducati angle of L-4.

Swing my arm. They need fresh blood, not a new alloy or CF compound.

Reply to this Topic
wallymann

Aug 10

wallymann says:

more to it with CF vs AL

"Do you go out and make an aluminium one, which is exactly the same as the carbon in torsional stiffness and rigidity, or do you keep going with the one you have?"

more to it than stiffness/rigidity.  there's the harmonics and damping to factor in, that affect vibrations that are transmitted and what the rider *feels*.

maybe its less critical on the swingarm, but the frame and front-end i think CF needs to be VERY well understood before it can really replace AL in motorcycles especially.

it's not just replacing AL with the exact same stiffness structure in CF...if it were that simple everyone would already have CF frames!

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

And again Jerry.

If we are looking for the same stiffness we’ve already got it in carbon.”

Err remind me again why Burgess and Rossi leveraged Ducati board presure on Preziosi to drop the CF chassis? And just how much progress has been made since the dynamic duo's pixy dust has been sprinkled on the D16?

Reply to this Topic
acanada46

Aug 11

acanada46 says:

bootlegger

Now the bloke has to develope it back to the winning CF configuration from swingarm to table top front end. Bridgestone with Rossi advisory screwed the best laid plans.

how many races did the cf configuration duke win....from memory i think it was 5 and that was with stoner who had over 2 seasons experience on duke.

if it was so successful dont you think honda and yamaha would be using it......numpty

Reply to this Topic
acanada46

Aug 11

acanada46 says:

nostrodamus

Maybe casey is leaving because hrc wont build a cf configuration honda,it was such an awesome machine managing 4th place in the championship twice...another numpty

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

acanada99

how many races did the cf configuration duke win....from memory i think it was 5 and that was with stoner who had over 2 seasons experience on duke.

Well i suspect Ducati would love to have 5wins since Vale joined. I'm guessing that the experience a 9timeWC/goat brings outways a couple of years experience?

Probably best not reply bud. I know the answer lol ;)

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

Pacey

I think it was seven actually, but hey who's arguing over a couple

But come on even Casey never truly made the CF work, it was too fickle and hard to set up.

Ducati fell too far behind interms of development and are paying the price of having to catch up'

In Moto GP fractions make all the difference ,just ask Casey and Honda at the moment , or do we start slinging mud in that direction too and see if it sticks.

Reply to this Topic
Bob Buttamasangy

Jul 08

Just the facts!

Acanada you goose, if they'd only had 1 win, it would still be more than your boyfriend has. Shooting yourself in the foot with your analogies is no way to make a point. Shouting out that 4th is a nothing result is crazy when Florence is heading for another 7th! Wake up to yourself.

I believe the CF duc was a very sound design, who'd have known DORNA would be making so many changes that make it a less than ideal option? The japs are happy to churn out the easier to fabricate/modify ally frames but if you think they haven't messed with carbon, you're pretty narrow minded. There's still absolutely zero evidence that the duc wasn't a tyre or suspension tweak away from nirvana. It's not so far removed from where the Honda is now, relative to the competition of the day.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices