Skip to content

Discuss This Triumph Trophy 1200 revealed New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Triumph Trophy 1200 revealed

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

John Westlake  says:

Triumph Trophy 1200 revealed

Triumph have just unveiled the new Trophy Tourer. The full report will be in next week's MCN (out Wednesday June 27), but in the meantime here are the raw facts from Triumph's press release • Three cylinder 1215cc engine developing 132bhp and 89lb.ft of torque at just 6,450rpm.• Virtually maintenance free shaft drive.• The most highly technologically advanced Triumph with ride by wire, traction...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 June 2012 17:59)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
GilR

Nov 09

GilR says:

Looks like a BMW to me

Reply to this Topic
Trumpton3

Feb 08

Trumpton3 says:

BMW

Looks alot like a BMW to me and I'm sure BMW will love it :-), although I dont rate Triumph build quality, I'm sure its better than the rotten finnish of BMW quality of late.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

"will Triumph once again be top bike in it's class?"

The BMW R 1200 RT is currently the top selling tourer, with a massive 59 sales in May out of the total 201 touring bikes sold, the lowest of any category of bike.

Tourers are essentially dead in the UK, all the geezer money has shifted to "adventure sports", where the Tiger Explorer 1215 is currently the top, uh, dog.  It's not realy hard to see why: we don't have trans-continental highways, we have potholes and roadworks.

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

practical alternative to a company car!

I reckon there's quite a few people like myself who use a bike as a practical alternative to a company car. I've got a 1.4 HDi diesel which does 70+ mpg, 20k service intervals, tyres last 40k miles and it's all day comfortable. it saves me a packet as I do 25k miles per year.

I've recently started using my bike for the daily 150 mile commute and I'm enjoying it!  However, some little niggles make it less of the obvious choice - niggles such as the 4k service intervals, chain + sprockets needing replacing every 20k to 25k miles, rear tyres lasting 6k miles, less than 50mpg and the fact you can't change the radio station as you're riding along ...

I won't ride a beemer because with the mileage I do I need a bike to be reliable.

So, the point I'm trying to make is these things won't just be rich boys playthings - 14k wouldn't buy a very exciting car but it'll buy a great bike - I think I'll be trading the Bandit 1250 for one of these as soon as the car's 3 yrs old!

Cheers,

Baz

Reply to this Topic
obiera

Jun 12

obiera says:

???

Simple question: are Triumph guys out of ideas?  Why they keep copying BMW?  Tiger, and now Trophy?

Reply to this Topic
carsrshit

Jun 12

carsrshit says:

England 5 Germany 1

Last year I bought an R 1200 RT SE.  I didn't really want to.  Boxer engine? 1923 original design and as hard to use smoothly as it was then. BMW reliability?  My previous, new, K1200 S bust its 4th gear in the first year and my friend's K1200S clutch blew up. Current bike is unreliable at starting up after being left cold for a week.  But it is still the best choice at what it does - touring, two up, with massive presence, great handling for its size, class leading weather protection and electronic aids.  GS?  Why?  I don't understand the case for huge ally-boxes strapped to beaked, wire wheeled Paris-Dakar look-alikes for the M25 - or the A49 in the Rhineland for that matter.  Triumph have come up with a British tourer which (assuming the esteemed Mr Ash likes it when he rides it) will definitely steal business from our German friends at BMW.  Better engine, modern engineering, more power, easier to ride than a flat twin, more reliable we have reason to hope, given Triumph's record, and even a charger for a phone in the top box - if you tour, and you are British - what's not to like?!

Reply to this Topic
Momo1970

Jul 11

Momo1970 says:

Only over the uk you hear the following: 1) Triumph is more reliable than BMW 2) Triumph take market share from BMW Fact is the 1200 GS is the best selling Adventure bike ever,why take the risk with new Triumph Adventure bike that looks the same and perform the same? Same goes for the SportTouring segment the BMW was bike of the year by a mile. All testers had only good things to say about the handling, engine, and the whole package. Now Triumph comes with a BMW look a like with 3 less cylinders (not that it matter but 6 cylinders it's pretty cool) and the Triumph fans are exstatic again.... I do not own a BMW (I ride Duke 690) and I think the speed triple and street triple are brilliant but the BMW copying (adventure, SportTouring) is quite obvious.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Well, in the UK, we're free to speak the truth

Our grandads saw to that.

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

Rogerborg

Well, in the UK, we're free to speak the truth

Our grandads saw to that.

By sailing to America and starting over.  :D

Reply to this Topic
joeguvnor

May 09

joeguvnor says:

THE REALL THING

I'm sorry but why would anyone want a look-alike!! I love Triumph as a brand but why copy BMW? It bloody looks like the RT but it's not:shock: the reall thing!!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle