Skip to content

Ask an Expert Will I end up with an A2?? Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Will I end up with an A2??

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

tunedude164

Jun 12

tunedude164 says:

Will I end up with an A2??

Hello

I've just got a question about the proposed new licence plans they have coming early next year. I've currently got a restricted A licence, which would be lifted in 8 months. I've been reading about the new licence plans they have relating to the EU directive. If it was 2013 now and I was only just getting my licence, I'd be only eligible for a cat A2 licence as I'm 20, then after 2 years I'd have to take the cat A test.

I'm just rather worried about whether my restricted Cat A is going to morph overnight on the 19th January 2013 to a Cat A2, or whether when my restriction period continues and then turns into a full Cat A. It's just annoying as I want to be eligible to purchase a slighter larger bike than my 250 ninja.

It's putting off one of my friends from starting to learn at the moment as she doesn't see why she should continue paying for tests after she gets her initial test, as she's not going to be 21 until next March, so direct access is out the question.

So come help please folks!!!

regards

Hatch

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (23 June 2012 16:42)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

As you've

passed your test, your restriction will continue as normal - the new rules only affect new riders as I understand.

As for your mate, tell her to do it now (that way she only has to do the one test as well, although she'll be restricted to 33bhp as well for two years).

Reply to this Topic
tunedude164

Jun 12

tunedude164 says:

brilliant

that's brilliant. We weren't sure how it was going to go, as the direct.gov website says absolutely nothing about current drivers. Well, I say it doesn't but as the layout is slightly all over the show, I can't navigate it properly.

But that's a big plus for me, as I'd like to get an er-6f and is an equal plus for my friend as she often has to make letter drop offs in central London and the congestion charge and parking fees are winding her up.

But thanks for the prompt response.

kind regards

Hatch

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Yep

you'll keep your current entitlements, so anyone in doubt, do your test now, as they won't revoke any entitlements you already have.

JUST DO IT.:smile

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

jan7th 2013

de-restriction date

Sucks to be you.

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Just to re-iterate

What Adie & Preunit have said; get your mate to pass her test This year to avoid all the cobblers being introduced in January!

Best of luck to her & Happy Riding to all:smile

Reply to this Topic
tunedude164

Jun 12

tunedude164 says:

thank you

Well as I've told her the information you lads have given to me, she's making plans to get started learning soon and she's happy she wouldn't penned into the one licence.

But it's also good for me too as it'l mean I'll be able to buy a larger bike, as having my girlfriend pillion on my ninja 250r isn't bad, but acceleration isn't great and it doesn't handle what I'd like it too, even on the slow twisty corners.

So big thumbs up all round

Hatch

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle