Skip to content

Ask an Expert 1999 aprilia rs125 engine noise Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > 1999 aprilia rs125 engine noise

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

sgrego24585

Jun 12

sgrego24585 says:

1999 aprilia rs125 engine noise

Hi there,

I have a 1999 aprilia rs125 which seems to have developed a engine noise/rattle when it is idling however it seems to go when you pull the clutch in.

I ave recently had a problem were as i put the wrong oil in and it was smoking like a chimney but drained that out and put the right oil in and now ts stopped smoking.

The only other thing i have done recently is adjust the air/fuel mixture screws as the feul was in full and the air pretty much all the way out and someone told me that was wrong so i turned the air back in and release the fuel screw a bit and now it idles nice at about 1k revs. Since doing this i have also lost a lot of hurrible judering at around about 5/6k revs it rids so much better but now i have this noise.

I beleive the bike has the power valve activated and the rav box fitted. all in all its riding lovely just a bit concerned about the rattle. any ideas??

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (25 June 2012 18:57)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bicster

Dec 04

bicster says:

Rattle

I wouldnt have thought that putting the wrong 2 stroke engine oil in would have caused a rattle that goes when you pull the clutch in as I would have thought it would have been constant, clutch in or out if it was engine related.  I think you need to look in the direction of the clutch plates, clutch basket and gearbox.  I may be very wrong but thats where id be looking.  Good luck at getting it sorted

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

noise

Welcome sgrego,at least you sound honest with your problem and adjustments (anything else ?),kcmc on here loves two strokes and will have more idea than me.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Aprilia RS 125 1999

Hi Sgrego24585 and welcome to the site:smile

Must say it just could be a bit of clutch chatter,bit of wear usually not a big problem,when did you last change the gear oil or even check how much is in there?.Think your a very lucky boy running on the wrong oil and getting away with it,in most cases running on the wrong two stroke oil will cause massive detonation resulting in a holed piston.Always try to run on a full synthetic not a mineral oil, semi-synthetic is OK but not ideal,anyway change that gearbox oil, a good light race oil like say Putoline or silkolene,these bike require the best oils,you don't need a seizure now do you:upset: .Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
sgrego24585

Jun 12

sgrego24585 says:

rs 125

Hi guys thanks for the reply.

Only had the bike about six weeks so i will check the gearbox oil and go from there. Thought it might not be such a big problems as everything works as it should ie selecting gears and stuff. Still cant beleive how much smoke came from the machine for using the wrong oil lol it was everywere even got me pulled by the police. thanks again.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices